High Pancreatic Spec fPL / Hydrolyzed Diet

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got test results back from one of my cats. Her Spec fPL was at 13.5. Since her and her sister both share same symptoms and they have been ongoing, she is leading toward food tolerance?? She wants to start a hydrolyzed ZD or HP diet to try and rule this out. Has anyone had experience with this? How long until you saw results? What issues did you see that lead you to this point? We are taking the least invasive route to start at her discretion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what the ranges are and where 13.5 falls within the range.

Many cats can experience pancreatic issues, often unrelated to food, and in a lot of cases the cause is unknown. With two cats having the same symptoms, it might not actually be pancreatitis. I would question why two cats are coincidentally having pancreatitis or even the same food intolerance? Seems it could be another issue that might have manifested itself into a pancreatic issue in one cat?

Until other members can come along and offer by far more support/information than I can, perhaps you can look through these TCS threads on pancreatitis - as well as some other data that you may or may have not already seen on the internet?
Search Results for Query: pancreatitis | TheCatSite
Feline Pancreatitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment (webmd.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what the ranges are and where 13.5 falls within the range.

Many cats can experience pancreatic issues, often unrelated to food, and in a lot of cases the cause is unknown. With two cats having the same symptoms, it might not actually be pancreatitis. I would question why two cats are coincidentally having pancreatitis or even the same food intolerance? Seems it could be another issue that might have manifested itself into a pancreatic issue in one cat?

Until other members can come along and offer by far more support/information than I can, perhaps you can look through these TCS threads on pancreatitis - as well as some other data that you may or may have not already seen on the internet?
Search Results for Query: pancreatitis | TheCatSite
Feline Pancreatitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment (webmd.com)
Thank you I will start looking through some of these posts. I haven’t looked up anything yet online, I came here first after getting the results.
You asked about the levels. i had her email me the blood work and it says a normal range is 0 - 3.5. Thank you very much for these links

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is her sister a littermate, or do you just call her her sister because they are your furbabies? I know I always ask one of my guys "where's your brother" even though they are not littermates. I ask because it does seem strange that they would share the same health issues and/or food intolerances, BUT if they are from the same litter, it could be much more likely.

Not knowing what the symptoms they are sharing are, I wonder why not try the new food and see what happens. It's not invasive to do that, and you might get good results. I'm guessing you need a prescription for either of those foods, so you could ask your Vet at that time how long it should take to see improvements, if there will be any.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is her sister a littermate, or do you just call her her sister because they are your furbabies? I know I always ask one of my guys "where's your brother" even though they are not littermates. I ask because it does seem strange that they would share the same health issues and/or food intolerances, BUT if they are from the same litter, it could be much more likely.

Not knowing what the symptoms they are sharing are, I wonder why not try the new food and see what happens. It's not invasive to do that, and you might get good results. I'm guessing you need a prescription for either of those foods, so you could ask your Vet at that time how long it should take to see improvements, if there will be any.
hello! Yes this is her littermate. I see abnormal stools from time to time. Sometimes it’s long phases sometimes it’s just a one off. Anything from mucus, bloody mucus, blood mixed in the stool or blood spots in the litter box and golden or mustard color. Sometimes diarrhea. There are times they get down periods where they see m lethargic and keep to themselves. These periods will last a couple days. Maybe 1.5 years ago I noticed a first bad down phase in one of the cats. The other oddly enough at the same time has started crying all the time at the potty box and I was starting to see a change in her attitude as well. I texted my vet about the gal that was lethargic flat like a pancake rapid breathing. He had me bring her in right away said sounded like pancreatitis (this was my old vet who I just adored!! We have since moved) Once he found out it was both girls, said Highly likely not pancreatitis in two… suggested biome or fiber response but at the time of pandemic could not get either. Fast forward to today one cat eats a a small amount of fiber response Hard food. We also tried metronidazole for a short period and saw no change.
This new vet only had two can in stock of the hydrolyzed, I bought them. I have some pretty picky girls but they will be trying it in the morning.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know about picky eaters. Hopefully they will like the new food. I'm actually surprised to hear the hydrolyzed protein comes in canned form. I've only ever heard of it dry. This is good news! If they like it, can you get your hands on more?

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know about picky eaters. Hopefully they will like the new food. I'm actually surprised to hear the hydrolyzed protein comes in canned form. I've only ever heard of it dry. This is good news! If they like it, can you get your hands on more?
The night she called with the blood work results and treatment plan, she said they had two brands they kept in stock. At pick up the front desk girl was just confused so I’m hoping they are just out. It was also an extremely busy day for them, getting everyone in and out very quickly. If I can’t get more I will ask for a script and see if I can get from chewy or PetSmart.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So just an update on this food. It was a hard pass for my cats. It looks like pate but it’s a jello consistency. There is no breaking it up it just sticks to the spoon. I tried hiding a VERY small amount into the side of the plate with their morning meal. One cat ate around it, the other chose not to eat at all as she noticed it right away. I didn’t think it had much of a smell but I guess she could smell. That’s how she is tho.. if something she doesn’t like is in her plate.. she can’t eat any of it. Jeez reminds of myself growing up. Can’t eat the mashed potatoes because the green beans are touching them!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, set an entirely separate plate/dish of the new food alongside their 'old' food? Or mix a tiny bit of both together. Most cats will pick up on something added as a side on their dish as 'suspicious'. Have you considered other hydrolyzed canned cat foods - maybe some that aren't pate-like if they are not used to that texture? If they prefer wet food, you can always try a dry food and add water to moisten them.
9 Best Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food in 2022 (petsumer.com)
The Best 5 Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food: Benefits, Reviews, and Ingredient Analysis (veterinarians.org)

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps, set an entirely separate plate/dish of the new food alongside their 'old' food? Or mix a tiny bit of both together. Most cats will pick up on something added as a side on their dish as 'suspicious'. Have you considered other hydrolyzed canned cat foods - maybe some that aren't pate-like if they are not used to that texture? If they prefer wet food, you can always try a dry food and add water to moisten them.
9 Best Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food in 2022 (petsumer.com)
The Best 5 Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food: Benefits, Reviews, and Ingredient Analysis (veterinarians.org)
Hi! I thought I was being sneaky and mixing it in but kept it to one side in case it caused issues. Didn’t want to have to throw the entire plates of food away if they refused. As far as the food this is our first rodeo. I know nothing about it or other brands I just took what the vet gave me. This is the start of a new adventure of now looking for new brands. The vet only mentioned RC HP and Purina ZD. Looking back at notes she also mentioned it could be possible ibd or food intolerance or ibd due to food intolerance?? which I think I left out in my first post.. i guess one could lead to the other. Looking at your links, mind blown!! My dog had very bad skin allergies and he ate RC pR and PV. I’m just seeing there is cat PR, I had no idea this stuff was hydrolyzed. The kicker.. I used to pay $110 for the 24/pk 15oz cans. The cat food is nearly the same price for 5oz cans lol. Nuts. Think I’ll try that next. Thank you for the links.