High liver enzymes

Dominiqueeden93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was in for a spay today and was not able to get it done as her alt was at 450. She is 9 months old my vet suggested to wait for 3 weeks and try again because it could of been something she may have gotten into. Any suggestions of what could of caused it?

After doing some research she has no symptoms of anything liver related as all of her functions eating and bathroom.habits are normal any suggestions of what I could be?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No idea. Does she get into stuff in your cabinets? It could pretty much be anything. Did you ask your Vet what they thought the cause might be, like a specific type cleaner or certain foods or something like that? Did they recommend you give her any liver supplements to try to help it "heal"?

Did you notice her acting at all strange in the last few days? I would think if she had injested something poisonous she would have shown some symptoms. Sometimes an injury to the liver can cause the ALT to rise. Is she a real rough houser? Also, if you take any pills, is it possible she got one (even an OTC one?)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dominiqueeden93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She do have a tendency for get into things she shouldn't. Havent ruled out anything yet have to wait 3 weeks for another blood test.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you by chance go to a spay/neuter clinic rather than a full service vet? Because benign elevation of liver function levels is said to be rare in cats. Meaning it may not be something severe, but it is likely *something* and I'm puzzled by a vet that simply says "come back in three weeks" without trying to figure out what the *something* is. (Apparently elevated ALP can be benign in kittens, but I haven't seen that said about ALT, which is the most liver-specific of the liver function enzymes).

...all of that said, I'm far from an expert, just a cat lover that gets curious when my cat has a medical issue and tries to learn.

Janet2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She needs a thorough diagnostic workup with full hepatic panel and an ultrasound. At best she had a little trauma to her liver. At worst metastases.

Alt of 450 is very high. I am not sure that "basic cat functioning is a reasonable predictor of what is going on here. I am not a vet but I am an MD and I rescue Ragdolls and colorpoint cats for the past 45 years. (For what that's worth)

Dominiqueeden93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you by chance go to a spay/neuter clinic rather than a full service vet? Because benign elevation of liver function levels is said to be rare in cats. Meaning it may not be something severe, but it is likely *something* and I'm puzzled by a vet that simply says "come back in three weeks" without trying to figure out what the *something* is. (Apparently elevated ALP can be benign in kittens, but I haven't seen that said about ALT, which is the most liver-specific of the liver function enzymes).

...all of that said, I'm far from an expert, just a cat lover that gets curious when my cat has a medical issue and tries to learn.
It was a full service clinic we did a FeLV test and that was negative but I think it may of been something she has gotten Into as I do have house plants that I just found out are toxic to cats.very strange because you think that she would be sick from any liver disease or anything.

Dominiqueeden93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was a full service clinic we did a FeLV test and that was negative but I think it may of been something she has gotten Into as I do have house plants that I just found out are toxic to cats.very strange because you think that she would be sick from any liver disease or anything.
That what the vet think it could be as well so I guess if that what it is maybe it will.start to heal its self.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would want to know more. If you do decide to go with the three week window and it is still high you should probably proceed with some other tests to see what is going on. My personal reading went up years ago when I was running a high fever and lost track of how much tylenol I was taking....my point being I think that there is an underlying reason that needs to be checked unless it is completely back to normal if you wait the three weeks. In my case it started to come down in a month but was still elevated....so you could be in a sort of no man's land even if you do wait as it may not return to spot on normal.