high glucose level detected

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try a low sided small-ish container - he may give you some side-eye, but hopefully when you have his litterbox back to the way he wants it he won't care that much if you're sort of "sliding" something under his behind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try a low sided small-ish container - he may give you some side-eye, but hopefully when you have his litterbox back to the way he wants it he won't care that much if you're sort of "sliding" something under his behind.
this worked! I was able to collect his urine :thumbsup:

the vet just called us back as well, and it is confirmed that Marvin has diabetes 😢

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK jman_in_mn jman_in_mn ........go back to page one and read post #9.

Then, have a read of this one.

Those members are talking about the world's all-time-best online coaches for folks with diabetic cats. They've been around since the world Internet began, they know their 'stuff' and they are absolute angels. [https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/]

Two quick things: one, while they may coach/guide, make sure you keep us posted! And, two..............you owe kbillions in kitty tax, so get that camera clicking for us :lol:

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK jman_in_mn jman_in_mn ........go back to page one and read post #9.

Then, have a read of this one.

Those members are talking about the world's all-time-best online coaches for folks with diabetic cats. They've been around since the world Internet began, they know their 'stuff' and they are absolute angels. [https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/]

Two quick things: one, while they may coach/guide, make sure you keep us posted! And, two..............you owe kbillions in kitty tax, so get that camera clicking for us :lol:
Just joined that forum and am browsing around the content

here’s a good one I can post, he likes to pose sometimes 😊

IMG_1744.jpeg

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Maine Coon that went full diabetic, glucose 450. Eliminated all dry food. Put him on 50/50 low phosphorous Dave's Restricted diet chicken pate (he's also CKD stage II apparently) mixed with Blue Wilderness Chicken Pate. Treated with insulin for 2 weeks before he went into remission. 2 years later, he's down from 16lbs to 12lbs, diabetes in check and CKD has not progressed.

If your cat HATES wet food and demands dry food like an addict, there is a product called "Young Again" Mature Zero that has no digestible carbs. Its a very concentrated food so 1/3 cup is a whole day's portion. Too much can cause diarrhea. If he starts getting picky about the wet food (with Miralax, with Cosequin etc) I sprinkle the Young Again Mature Zero on it like croutons and that gets him eating.

Good luck...this sucks, I know. Cut the carbs and that will help immensely. I had 3 cats protesting the diet change when only one was diabetic but I could not have dry food anywhere that he could accidentally get it. 10 pieces of his old kibble would raise his blood glucose 100 points.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marvin is currently really good about wet food, he's getting probably about 90/10 wet/dry at the moment (he likes a little dry food to snack on in the middle of the night) so I don't think that will be a problem. We're currently giving him mostly TikiCat and Sheba pate' wet foods, but also some Blue Buffalo Tastefuls.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You need to get set up to monitor his glucose at home. This is very important and will save you money.
You need to feed a low carb quality protein canned diet. You must feed on a schedule. Don’t worry about weight loss, it will happen on its own with a low carb canned diet.
The insulin must be given at the same time every day or twice a day depending on what is used.
You should be able to get him into a full remission.

Do not feed raw diet, because he is immune compromised while he is diabetic.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You can do this, so don't panic. I have had two diabetic cats, both successfully treated with insulin for several years. We used ProZinc insulin, although there are other choices. Many vets here are using FreeStyleLibre for monitoring. I did not, as the flash glucose monitoring was not available for animals then. This may or may not resonate with you, but the FDMB people can discuss it with you.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have our consult with the vet scheduled for 3pm on Monday 9/25, so holding tight about buying anything so far until we discuss Marvin's treatment plan, etc. as recommended by our vet

just feel bad for him as he's tired and somewhat lethargic, just trying to keep him eating wet food and drinking water until then

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
no, not yet, our consult with the vet is coming up on Monday 9/25, I suspect that will be the first day
That is concerning to me. The insulin should have been started right away. Not your fault. How is your cat doing?

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is concerning to me. The insulin should have been started right away. Not your fault. How is your cat doing?
He’s doing well today. Better energy and seemed more like his old self. Eating low/no carb wet food, drinking plenty of water. Believe me, I asked the same question and our vet said he’ll be ok until our appt. She’s a great vet who knows Marvin well 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet just called back; his glucose level was 450 when the blood was drawn (now, this occurred after a few other things going on at the time during his appointment... he had his anal glands expressed, he received a vaccination, etc.) and since this is right on the border for pre-diabetic, we need the urine test to confirm. I've read in the forum that stress can spike glucose levels in the feline, but I'm not confident in that diagnosis. He checks off some of the other boxes- increased urination, strong appetite (despite eating an almost exclusive wet food diet) and since he's overweight, it just feels like everything finally caught up to him.
My cat was taken in for dental work and had bloodwork for anesthesia. Her glucose was extremely high and the vet said, same as you were told, that this can be caused by stress. Indeed, recently she went for a well cat check-up and her glucose was completely normal. Not saying this is the case in your situation, but it does happen apparently. Stress in cats seems to cause all kinds og weird lab readings.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little update on Marvin...
-he's been on Vetsulin about 2.5 weeks, twice a day, dosage was just increased to 2U today
-he is definitely diabetic; giving him daily shots has been easier to manage than I thought
-still going through the process of discovering the proper amount of insulin he'll need (he had his first glucose curve procedure today)

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stress will cause a spike in glucose levels. Just feed the cat low carb food and less of it. The cat will fell better and his joints will get a break