high fibre cat food?????

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on Matt's weight loss!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh - are you feeding a high fiber kibble to help with the weight loss? If so, then yeah, I'd lose the kibble. Obviously there are studies in cats that indicate if they're fed a high fiber diet they lose weight, but those don't address other issues from the diet. There are also studies that indicate that cats needing to lose weight do best on a high protein food - not only do they lose the weight, but it's easier to keep the weight OFF them. They also lose the weight in a healthier way - their body composition alters from fat to lean mass (and with more lean mass, they burn more calories naturally). So yeah, when dieting cats, it's really best to use all wet food that is high protein, and lose the carbs and fiber. :nod:

I think you'd be better off with the canned friskies pate foods than the kibble. :nod:

But how many calories are you feeding him? I know you've discussed it before. I know there are huge ranges out there, but for not kittens that are lazy to moderately active, most need about 20 calories per pound to maintain weight, and 15 calories per pound to lose weight. So at his ideal weight of 12 pounds, Matt should only need about 240 calories. :dk:

When I was feeding canned, my adult cats - that ranged in weight from 10.5 to 14 pounds - all ate about one 5.5 ounce can of food a day, and the cans I fed them ranged in calories from 180 to about 220.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet said 238calories/day. his 1/3can of wellness comes out to 118-129depending on the variety, and I was using kibble to fill the calories and his belly because he complains of hunger. But I recently figured out his 'hungerpains' are sometimes a call for attention, so if it isn't mealtime I tell him "It's not time yet" and walk right past him. He'll shortly come to play with me. 

So basically I want to find him 100calories even. A half a can of friskies or a can or fancy feast would be about that wouldn't it?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dr. Pierson's commercial food comparison list has calories listed: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Food Chart Public 9-22-12.pdf

The high protein/low carb Fancy Feast are the classics - and they range from 82 to 97 kcal per can. The chopped grill feast is 97 (3 oz can) and the Chicken is 91 (3 oz can).

The Friskies classic varieties range from 156 to 187.

Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does, thanks :) this means that 1/2can of friskies or 1can of fancy feast classics would replace his kibble each day and keep his calories about the same. A drop of a few wouldn't hurt, as I'm sure he'd make it up with mooching from my hubby later lol. He's in control of the Whiskas Temptations. If he mooches off me it's usually cooked chicken or ham.