High Energy Cat & Dog (looking for holistic vet)

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My Aunt is currently struggling with her very high energy siamese and a her very high energy dog. The animals get along with each other fine, but they're driving my poor aunt up the wall.

The siamese apparently gets the night crazies at around 4:30am, and the dog is just hyper and somewhat neurotic around the clock. She's got all the basics covered in terms of lots of exercise, lots of play, healthy diet, etc. She's wondering if part of the unrest at this point might be due to anxiety or something similar, so she's looking into Feliway, Rescue Remedy, etc.

Is this a situation where it might be useful to see a holistic vet? That was my first thought, without knowing many details. Also, do any of you know of a good vet for behavioral issues located in Florida? I think she's near Fort Myers.

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of dog? What's her (his?) background? Some dogs are just nutso. The cat might calm down at night if she gets a good playtime right before bed. Other than that I don't know what would help....my mom has a half-Siamese that is thoroughly convinced that 5:30 is an excellent time to wake up, and nothing can change her mind.

I have had some success with this product, for calming a dog: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product..._calmplex/dogs
I don't think it's for use in cats, though.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What breed is the dog? I know working dogs are very hyper. My Old English sheepdog didn't stop running the first 2 years of her life. If she can let the dog outside for some running around to work off some energy out that works. Also walks help with that.

Some cats are just hyper also, I know Attitude and Nuts can get the crazies.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dog is a standard poodle and very athletic. He does a lot of running every day, so it's not a lack of exercise problem.

I suspect that the real issue is that she just happens to have two high energy animals that want a lot of attention. I'll suggest that she look into the Calmplex for the dog.

Thanks!

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say the dogs runs every day do you mean the owners takes him jogging or he runs around in the yard alone? How old is the dog and they cat?

Pets often have unfulfilled mental energy needs as well as physical energy needs. The smarter the cat or dog the more need for mental energy outlets.

I suspect the energy needs are still not being met. Poodles have high energy but are dependant - they want the owners company to burn that energy where a husky is just fine running alone.

Cats really like routine and to reguklarly have several predictable high energy play times followed by a nice high-protein meal will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She takes the poodle to a dog-friendly beach once or twice a day for an extended running session (she walks, the dog runs), as well as regular walks at other times. Overall I think he gets at least an hour of solid running a day, and walks and sporadic play on top of that.

I do wonder if maybe he needs more mental stimulation. Maybe agility or something along those lines.

I'll pass along the information about meals followed by high energy play. I was reading the section of this website about night crazies, which suggested the same thing. This cat is VERY people-dependent, for what it's worth.

The two animals do play together, I think.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be happy with a holistic vet, at least I have been for my dogs and crazy gremlin a.k.a cat. www.holisticvetlist.com
I don't go for behavioral issues. I own a working breed and try to actually "work" them often, classes and mental stimulation with obedience, agility, teaching tricks, socializing, etc. Mental and physical exercise both is important for many in the working class. Try using this to find a training facility: http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/inde...bed&display=on

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meals followed by play is great for the cat and possibly deadly for the dog - standards poodles have bloat tendencies.

It does seem like the poo gets good physical exercise. Agility and/or any obedience training would be great. Probably she should also practice Nothing In Life Is Free with the dog.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do not do high energy play with the dog right after eating, they can get bloat and die. I had to watch Abby after she ate to make sure she didn't run around too hard after eating, She was an Old English sheepdog so that was almost impossible, so most of the time she would stay inside after her meal, until she'd get too crazy and I'd let her outside to run off her extra energy.

You can do that with the cat but not the dog. Different physiology.

Taryn