High calorie home made raw diet for mega-esophagus kittie?

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. Our megaesophagus kittie Capulcu is almost a year old now, and we've come a looong way in the 6 months, from 1.2kg to 3kg now. But she's a big girl, and the 3kg is just way too skinny for her, and it also gives us no room for any weight loss if we have another set back. I'm looking for ideas to try to get as many calories as possible in her taking into consideration that her food has to be the consistency of a milkshake and that means I can just about get her to eat 100-150 grams of raw meat each day (alternating chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, and 5-10% liver with calcium in the form of ground eggshells), and that is the equivalent of about 180 calories at most. Any suggestions on high calorie feeding options? I've tried Pediasure/Ensure to water down the meat when blending it into the milkshake consistency, and she tends to put weight on when using that, but I'm not sure whether that's something we can continue with in the long run as anything I've read online says not to use human formulations for cats. I'm more than willing to switch from raw if anyone has any ideas, or to supplement her raw diet with. Is Pediasure really that bad to continue with in the long run?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about increasing fat?  Butter maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the exact opposite problem, her regurgitation problem is much worse with fatty foods.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I read somewhere on this site that adding digestive enzymes to the cats diet could help them gain a bit of weight. But I'm not 100% on that so I would wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm that statement!:D