High ALT level

Asphodel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 5.5 years old and back in December for her routine blood work prior to routine dental cleaning her alt level was at 260 with everything else within normal limits. We went ahead with her dental cleaning and vet had me bring her back in two months for repeat blood work.

Last week she had her repeat blood work and her ALT level remained the same at 260 and again the rest within normal limits. Follow up ultrasound was discussed but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this and what it could be?

She is eating normal, no weight loss or gain, bathroom normal and no change in behavior that I have noticed.

Any answered much appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When ALT is the only liver enzyme out of range, it can suggest the start of liver disease (e.g. hepatitis), but ALT is also found in heart and skeletal muscles, as well as the kidneys. ALT can be impacted by various drugs (steroids is one example). All things to discuss with the vet.

Was your cat's creatine kinase part of the blood work? It can usually give an indicator as to whether the higher ALT is liver or muscle related.

In the meantime, while you wait for direct responses - if you have not already done so - here is a search of previous threads on this site about high ALT.
Search Results for Query: High ALT | TheCatSite

Last edited: