Hi!

Linderin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody!

Just subscribed to this forum because I need a little advice about my cats (which I'll ask for in the cat behaviour subforum :-) ). I live in the Netherlands and I've adopted two gorgeous kitties, Babs and Kenzie, from the shelter about a month ago. I'm a first time cat owner so it's quite the adventure.

Babs is a small, stocky, pear-shaped female (though you wouldn't say so from the photo) with white and grey fur, she always looks extremely displeased (again, you wouldn't say from the photo) and her walk is more like an inelegant wobble. She's kind of butch, but I like that about her. She has a no-nonsense attitude. She really loves to play with the "fishing rod" (what's it called in English?) and I've come to find she's a very skilled hunter. The way she darts through the air and attacks the little mousey at the end of the rod is way beyond play. She keeps to herself most of the time. Babs is 3.5 years old and she was found with kittens, which had already been adopted when I came to the shelter.
Kenzie is a beautiful calico girl with slightly longer fur than usual. She's very meek, almost passive. She is also very curious and follows me around with her big eyes and seeks my company every evening. However, sometimes I get the impression that she feels a bit lonely because Babs is so indifferent. When we play she likes to sit and watch the fishing rod as it bounces around, and on the rare occasion that she catches it she jumps away immediately after, scared of her own actions. She looks up to Babs and likes to go wherever she goes. Kenzie is 1.5 years old.

Both were found in the streets and from the looks of it, they've never had any (positive) interactions with humans before. The shelter did their best for them, but they're still both extremely shy and scared, almost feral. They won't let me touch them and they attack when I get too close. I've been able to comfort them enough so that they're okay to be in the same room with me and play with the fishing rod, and they eat wet food from a spoon. They're also comfortable enough to walk through the house when I'm there, but any sudden movements from my part and they'll dart to their safe room. But they've made incredible progress so far (they were practically paralyzed with fear in the first week) and I'm very proud of us.
The reason I adopted them together is that they've become best friends in the shelter and they could only be placed as a couple. And that was exactly what I was looking for.

Well, that turned into quite an essay. I can talk about my cats for hours:-)

Attachments

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome and bless you for giving these pretty girls a home.As time goes by they will become calmer and warmer to you. Some cats are never lap cats and some need time to bloom. My first cat was 6 weeks old when I adopoted him and he followed me everywhere and was a darling friend but not 'lappy' suddenly at age 6 or 7 he was a lap cat. You just never know.In the states we call that toy a wand toy. Playing with a wand toy is the very best thing you can do ( besides feeding) to bond with cats and build their confidence. Good for you!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! Your kitties are absolutely beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linderin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Maureen! It's good to hear that cats can change with time, luckily they're still very young. I knew when I got them that they probably wouldn't become lap cats and I might never be able to touch them, but they've given me so much joy already just by playing and making all this unexpected progress. Any warming is added bonus :-)
I guess it's back to the wand toy for now!

Linderin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Your kitties are absolutely beautiful!
Thank you! They're killing my curtains and my rug but it's all worth it :-D

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_2666.GIF Linderin, Babs and Kenzie, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting them. They are such beautiful cats :lovecat::lovecat4:

Feel free to ask questions and do browse around the site for its rich reading contents.

Post more photos of them and see ya around :wink:

Linderin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 186280 Linderin, Babs and Kenzie, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting them. They are such beautiful cats :lovecat::lovecat4:

Feel free to ask questions and do browse around the site for its rich reading contents.

Post more photos of them and see ya around :wink:
Thank you! :-D