Hi! Need help with conversion for meds please!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. Just got home from work. Apparently, my kitty Tink, has lost 3 teeth and one is cracked and still in there. Ouch! But we pulled blood for a GHP just to be sure that she was OK for a dental and her ALT was high. My fatty has been losing *too*much weight! So I was sent home with Denosyl and Clindamycin Drops to get her better so I can clean those gross teeth. Giving her the pill was a piece of cake but I forgot to bring a syringe home to give her the liquid with. I'm supposed to give her 1.5 MLs twice a day but the dropper that came with it is in MGs. I'm not very good with this metric conversion stuff.. if someone could please help me that would be wonderful!

Thanks so much!!!
Katie

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie,

I'm confused...a mg is a measure of weight, not volume. A syringe or dropper usually is noted in ml or cc's (or even teaspoons in a feeding syringe from a human pharmacy), never mg.

The only way to convert mgs to a ml measurement is when you know that you want to give 50 mg of medication, which when prepared as directed is say 50 mg per ml or cc. Does the label on your medication say how many mg's of med your kitty is to get, or just give you the 1.5 ml direction?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I just spoke to another tech from work and I **think** we figured it out. haha But the dropper is in mgs. Two lines on it -- 12.5 mg and 25 mg. And the directions say 1.5 mls BID. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a syringe. lol The droppers are such a pain in the butt to use anyway. Now I will have to go into work tomorrow and pick one up -- on my day off!!!