Hi, meet my sweet girl Fern!

slejones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My name is Sarah, and I adopted the beautiful Fern on Saturday 29 April. She is so sweet, started accepting head and cheek scratches the first night. She started hiding in my shower a couple hours after being dropped off by her foster carer, and began to eat her kibble while I was patting her.

The next morning I found her crammed in behind the washing machine (which was in my bathroom). After getting her out, she headed back into the shower until I needed to move her so I could use the shower. She then bolted and hid under the couch, until I made a hidey hole at the end of my bed between the end of the bed and the wardrobe and the end of the bed. A big cardboard box with a blanket, and a sheet going from the top of the wardrobe and the foot of my bed. She also has her food and water, as well as her litter box close for her to use.

She has slowly been gaining confidence, peeking out of her safe space and letting me give her more pats, standing and sitting in positions that show her belly. She is not yet coming out of her safe space - at least when I'm home, IDK what she gets up to while I'm at work!

I need to take her to the vet soon to have her spaying stitches removed, which I'm not looking forward to! She doesn't like to be picked up, and isn't happy being in carriers. Hopefully I can win her over with some wet food when she gets home!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the new cat adoption. Fern is pawsitively adorable. :catlove:

So not a week yet since you've had her, so still early days. Some cats are just more nervous than others, and take longer to get comfortable in their new homes.

You didn't specially ask for suggestions, but here are some TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House - TheCatSite

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? - TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite

Good luck. :petcat:

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful. Welcome to your life of servitude to Fern. :lol::lol:

Just a suggestion; What I did was take the carrier and make it another comfy spot for Lunar to enjoy. I put a familiar blanket in it and placed it in our living room. Even though she has a couple window perches and a cat tree condo she'll sometimes curl up in her carrier to take a nap or just hang out. She even took a couple of her toys in to play with. It made trips to the vet much easier for us.
20230428_194445.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
e15e84c04a8490daa6cfd7a2792e8bbf.gif
Sarah and Fern and on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
27fcc15df3fba68a2a4b868777fc711c.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Fern is so cute! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for in Bi-color kitties only! and many fun threads here in Fur Pictures and Videos Only! to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :thumbsup:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome Sarah and Fern! I have my cat carriers in my bedroom closet. So when you see able to pick her up shut her in the closet with you. They know the sound of a carrier so be prepared!