Hi! I'm Lei-Ann, and I have a pure bred feral Burmese (breeder lost about 40 of them when they escap

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I have never seen a Burmese as light as the one in the link you sent me. Pretty little thing he is!
Her papers couldn't say dark chocolate, as that's not a colour available for registration. Chocolates are also called Champagne in the US.  Colour tone is the same regardless of location, all chocolates are light and with a mask. Not solid like the sable/brown Burms. 

You can see a US cattery here, there's a photo on this page with a sable and chocolate/champagne side by side http://www.mochablastburmese.com/

Perhaps your was part of an outcross program, would help explain the incorrect head type and fluffier tail. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I prefer the "incorrect" head type. I find the round golden eyes unattractive, and I'm not fond of the round face types either. Maybe Hershey and Hershey Rose are "substand" to breeders, but they are above standard in my book. I'll take the inferior Siamese shaped face, almond eyes and chocolate color anyday over the "show cats". I love the Burmese for their personality, and have never had any wish to enter a cat into cat shows. My best friend in England breeds and shows English Rag Dolls, including Lavendars, and they are from a very high lineage. I got Hershey from her, and she told me Hershey was a "dark chocolate". Perhaps the breeder referred to those cats that were not sable and yet not what you are referring to as "chocolate" Dark Chocolates. The first thing her vet said when he saw her was "My God, another pure bred Dark Chocolate Burmese." As I had said, the other one he treats belongs to Nicholas Cage, who also refers to his Burmese (male) as a Dark Chocolate. Like I said, I'm not a breeder, but she didn't get named Hershey because she looked like a sable. She looked like a Hershey bar. And her fur was like mink. But, as they say, "A Rose by any other name..............". I loved my Hershey and I love my new Hershey Rose, who is just now coming out and walking around the room whether they are "inferior" or not. And I love my common everyday Tortie. Let's face it, I just love cats!

Note: My friend Mary rescued Hershey from an abusive household. Mary did not fill out Hershey's breed papers, they were filled out by the actual breeder.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I had a chocolate pure bred Burmese for 12 years (she just passed in June), and I wanted a cat that looked just like her. Chocolates are so hard to find, especially with the Siamese facial bone structure and green eyes....
They would be. A chocolate oriental (havana in the UK) is much more like what you describe.

I also have no idea what an English Ragdoll is unless it's simply one born in England.  There is no 'English Ragdoll' breed recognised over here.

Finally, most vets know almost nothing about cat breeds, and a 'dark chocolate burmese' is probably a brown burmese.  A chocolate burmese has quite a pale body, a brown burmese is chocolatey.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have no idea what an English Ragdoll is unless it's simply one born in England.  There is no 'English Ragdoll' breed recognised over here.
Thought perhaps I was just out of the loop and the UK had their own breed or something. There are traditional blood lines, some breeders like to work with just those lines which also restricts the colours they use. 

No idea what "very high lineage" means either?

Agree with you OS about the vets and breeds, unless they are breeders or involved in the cat fancy they are pretty clueless.