hi im a new cat owner

pookie4binky07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new in the forum and a new kitty cat owner. We have a lot of animals and my biggest issue is keeping the kitty out of the doggie bowls. We just got her 3 days ago and she is 5 months and a dsh. I am redirecting her to her own bowl everytime she goes for the dog bowl. I am hoping that this will eventually work. Any suggestions for a new cat owner? especially one with lots of other animals? For more details on my whole clan check my "about me" cuz I don't want to type it all again LOL. Thanks everyone!!!!!

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I used to have a kitty who went crazy for the doggie bowl and vice versa when I was younger, so we had to stop free feeding because of their stealing from one another. :what:

Are you able to put them on scheduled feedings?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie4binky07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's kind of hard to put them on scheduled feeding. I can take the puppy's food away during the day cuz he is crated but the Pomeranian is older and has nibbled ob her food little by little her whole life. She has always been that way and I'm nervous that if I take it away when I'm not there to watch she wont eat much. The Pomeranian LOVES cat food but that is solved cuz the Kitty's foord is ontop of her 6 foot cat tree. But taking away the older dogs food is a very extreme option I hope I don't have to go to. Ideas?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!! I also think schedule feeding might work best.. I can't think of any other way to keep the kitten out of the dog's dish.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there welcome along to tcs!

If you have any questions about the site please pm me and ill be happy to help!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I'm going to move this to our "cats and other animals" forum. :)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

Welcome to TCS! 
  It's nice to meet you.  My friend has the opposite problem, with his lab coming along and inhaling every bite of cat food while his cat is still contemplating her meal.  I can't think of a way to keep your kitten out of the dog's food other than maybe separate feeding areas? 

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Welcome to TCS! 
  It's nice to meet you.  My friend has the opposite problem, with his lab coming along and inhaling every bite of cat food while his cat is still contemplating her meal.  I can't think of a way to keep your kitten out of the dog's food other than maybe separate feeding areas? 
In this case, if your friend able to feed the cat on higher ground where the dog can't reach?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie4binky07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what we are doing, her food is ontop of her cat tree cuz my Pomeranian LOVES cat food!

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi 

I think like others have said you are going to have to try to get the dogs onto a schedule ( it is in fact a better way for dogs to eat) it should be easy with the pup you may have a bit of a problem with the Pom, and once again like others I have my cats eat well out of reach of the dogs. I have 8 dogs and 6 cats and it all works fine. Good luck