Hi I am new, also I have a new kitten, advice please

kiwi jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all I am Joanne, but call me Jo. Today I got a 7 week old cat from the vets, he was found in a local school with his littermates, no mum, so I guess he was dumped :( 

So he is crying heaps as to me expected. but he is very timed and hisses when I get near. I thought I would leave him for tonight, and try patting him in the next few days? Any advice would be good.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spend time in the room with him reading or another quiet activity. You can even read out loud to get him used to your voice. If you sit on the floor and don't expect much, he will likely feel comfortable enough to come to you.

You are right that he should have his own space for a few days until he's more comfortable, with his litter box, food, and water all in easy access.

Did the vet deworm him and give his first shots? If not you'll need to both of those things in the next week or so.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may not be completely weaned.  Can you get some KMR or Goat's milk for him.  You can put it in a dish for him to lap up.

He may be crying because he is hungry.  Kittens eat a lot.  Small meals 3 or 4 times a day.  Make sure you are feeding kitten food, wet and dry.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may not be completely weaned.  Can you get some KMR or Goat's milk for him.  You can put it in a dish for him to lap up.

He may be crying because he is hungry.  Kittens eat a lot.  Small meals 3 or 4 times a day.  Make sure you are feeding kitten food, wet and dry.
In addition to feeding frequent meals of wet food, you can leave dry food for kittens out all the time. That way he will always have something to nibble on.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any way to get one of his littermates?  He's so little he needs company, and warmth too.  If he hisses, possibly he was born feral, sounds like.  In that case it will take some slow careful exposure to humans to help him gain trust.  Patience is needed here.  Cats and kittens cannot be rushed.  

Also to be sure you aren't scaring him when you approach, remember to walk quietly and speak softly.  Loud noises scare them.  Don't make too much direct eye contact with wide eyes, so no staring.  That communicates a threat to the little kitten.  Smile, speak softly and just glance at him briefly with smiling eyes, then away.  

Does he have a little hideaway spot?  Like a little box.  He needs to be able to hide while keeping an eye on you so he can feel safer.  

One vet that came to my house actually sprayed herself with Feliway spray, which is a calming pheromone spray.  This could help calm the kitten too.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwi jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update, he came out from under the couch last might and let me pat him. cryed alot of last night,as we kept him in the lounge. Today he is running around the house still a bit timid, but seems more happier in himself. he has let me pat him and pick him up once, things are getting better :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear!  By the way, if you get the pheromone spray, do not spray it on the kitten.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwi jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet gave him a blanket that he was using when he was there, and she sprayed the blanket with it, so I think that helps ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can let him sleep in your room with you. He may sleep better if you do. It sounds like he's beginning to adjust very nicely! :)