Hi... Help with Calici Virus?

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat randomly stopped eating yesterday and hasn't touched food today either. Shes also lethargic, keeps licking her lips, foamed at the mouth and meows as if in pain when we touch her. I took her to the vet today and he said that you didnt get her vaccinated. Shes 4-5 months old and someone had told me you cant get your cat vaccinated before 6 months of age. So the vet says its probably a case of calicivirus. He checked her fever and it was 105 F, gave her something to bring it down, after 30 mins, he checked it again it was 104. then he gave her two more shots of things i dont know. Hes now asked me to bring her tomorrow and if her syptoms dont improve, theyre going to do a blood test. 

Now i googled about Calicivirus and no where does it say she will foam at the mouth or keep licking her lips.. how does one know if its calicivirus or something else?

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your kitty kept indoors or indoor / outdoor?

Have no experience with this but best to keep her Indoors then isolate from any other pets. Wash everything.

Find the name of what it was Vet was injecting into your cat  then re-post it here so others

can assist you better. What are all her symtoms?

Cats will also foam at the mouth after something bitter was in their mouth,

seizures, tooth issues or  taking in something toxic. 

Bloodwork will help the Vet diagnose exactly what it is if as he says things don't improve.

Going to the washroom is all normal?

Last edited:

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Calicivirus can cause red and inflamed lesions inside the mouth and throat, and because of the significant pain, a cat will drool excessively - drooling can also be a sign of fever, which she certainly had.  Calicivirus is one component of rhinotracheitis (FVR), the upper respiratory infection, it is painful and debilitating and shouldf be treated appropriately at the onset.

The injections were probably antibiotics and possibly an anti-inflammatory.  You should also ask your vet about sucralfate to help prevent stomach ulcers, and fluid therapy to address dehydration, I'm really surprised he didn't give her sub-q fluids at the exam.  IF this turns out to be calicivirus, pain medication prescribed by the vet should also be strongly considered.

If you have other cats in the home, calicivirus is highly contagious, and they may indeed contract it from her - the incubation period is 7-10 days, so another cat may develop the same symptoms right around that time.  Prompt aggressive treatment is imperative, fluid support, antibiotics, nutritional support and good nursing care.

Kittens can be vaccinated as early as 6-9 weeks of age (providing in good health), with boosters following.  FELV/FIV testing can be done as early as 10 weeks of age, but a followup re-test should be done again for accuracy.

Take her back tomorrow for a thorough recheck as your vet requested, you really have to stay on top of this illness and get it treated appropriately.