Hi from MI

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I just recently adopted a 9 week old kitten. His name is Poppy. He's really sweet and really energetic.

I bought him lots of different kinds of toys so he wouldn't be bored while I was at work. I also bought him the Ultimate Cat Scratcher. The thing is huge!

I already started changing (mixing together) his dry food, from what the vet was feeding him to a low carb dry food (I've been reading Your Cat Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins)...but he has really bad diarrhea now so I'm going to wait to change is food until he's older. I want him to be as healthy as possible. I want to take care of him as best as I can because I feel like I failed my last cat.

I had a black cat, named Monti. He was 3 1/2 years old and he was the best cat ever. Loving, playful, silly, talkative, majorly cool personality. But then he got a lower respiratory infection last spring and it lasted a long time and he took alot of medicine for it. He got better but one day early in December he collapsed and was having a hard time breathing. His lungs were full of fluid. I took him to the hospital and he had chylothorax and they had to figure out what was causing it. They drained his lungs but the fluid came back in one day, they did it again and it came back almost faster. He was in the hospital for 5 days while they ran tests and then they called and said they needed to do a CAT scan and wanted to immediately do surgery. It would have cost $10,000 (on top of the $3,500 from everything else). I don't have that kind of money and I had to make the hardest decision ever and had him put to sleep. I feel like I failed him because I couldn't afford it.

I miss Monti so much and I hope that getting another kitten this soon wasn't the wrong thing to do. I'm really enjoying Poppy and hope that he stays healthy.

Sara

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, fellow Michigander! Welcome to TCS!

Poppy is adorable!

So sorry to hear about Monti

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Sierra and little Poppy,

Welcome to our community of caring people who love cats.
I am so sorry for your loss of Monti.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, click on my username, send a Private Message, I will do what I can to help. Please make yourself at home.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am from Michigan too! Welcome to TCS! Sorry to hear about Monti but have peace you did not fail him!

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a cutie pie!!

If he still continues to have diahrea, it could possibly be coccidea, which is a very common illness among kittens. (Atleast in my area). Almost every foster kitten I bring in has to be put on medication for it!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!

I'm so sorry and Monti, but you did the right thing. Sounds like he was in pain and you set him free

Your furbaby is the cutest thing ever sleeping on your shoulder