Hi from down under!

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I've just spent ages googling to try and find a cat forum that looks good and fairly active... eventually settled on this one :)

I'm new to the forum but not to cats. Over the years I've had 8 different cats, but I currently only have 3. All of my cats have either been rescues from vets or shelters, or homeless strays that turned up at my house.

I'm from Australia and live on a small farm so I have quite a menagerie of animals including my 3 cats, 2 dogs (A Kelpie and an Australian Shepherd), 3 ferrets, 2 ducks, 27 chickens and we also have a herd of beef cattle.

I mostly joined this forum because I'm looking for some guidance with caring or one of my cats (Tank) who has over the last week had quite a health scare, I'll make a new thread about that though.

I suppose now is the part where I introduce my kitty cats :)

First up there is Sebastian (Seby for short). We adopted him from the local vets as a kitten. He is now around 8 years old. Although he doesn't look it, everyone in my family agree that Seby has Siamese in him, his personality fits a siamese cat perfectly. My mum grew up with siamese cats and I've worked with many of them (I work at a vet). I also will not deny that Seby is quite overweight, this is something we're working on fixing.

Next up there is Tank. We adopted Tank 4 years ago from the same vet that Seby came from. He was 2 years old when we adopted him and had been waiting for a home for 6 months before we found him! He is very cuddly and loving. He's also quite a sensitive boy, over the last week he's had serious issues with his bladder (We could have lost him). The vet says its FIC... so unfortunately could be a reoccurring thing, which worries me.... I'll post a different thread giving more detail on all that though...

And last but not least, the little girl, Bubbles :) We adopted Bubbles with Tank, she's the same age as him and had been waiting for a home for 3 months. If we didn't take her, I wouldn't be surprised if she has to be put to sleep because she was absolutely terrified of all humans. It took many weeks for us to be able to pat her at all. But over time she eventually came to trust us, now she just adores us. She has the loudest purr and beautiful long whiskers. She is still terrified of all strangers, but at least she loves our family :) None of my friends have met her properly because she's too scared of them! Her tail is permanently paralysed too, she has no movement in her tail, it just hangs limp behind her. Luckily its a short tai and doesn't drag on the ground much!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 
  Your three kitties are very, very beautiful and you are a wonderful photographer.  This is a great site where everyone generously shares their knowledge, which is considerable, and everyone dotes on cats.   You'll fit right in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Welcome to TCS! 
  Your three kitties are very, very beautiful and you are a wonderful photographer.  This is a great site where everyone generously shares their knowledge, which is considerable, and everyone dotes on cats.   You'll fit right in!
Thank you 

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
very beautiful cats. we lost our 10 y/o boy to kidney failure a few months ago but he was terrified of everyone when we adopted him too. i don't think we saw him for 3 weeks. he eventually came to love us but remained scared of strangers his whole life. some cats who i think were abused just never get over it.

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

very beautiful cats. we lost our 10 y/o boy to kidney failure a few months ago but he was terrified of everyone when we adopted him too. i don't think we saw him for 3 weeks. he eventually came to love us but remained scared of strangers his whole life. some cats who i think were abused just never get over it.
Thank you! Sorry to hear about your boy! I agree that some cats who were abused just never get over it!

It definitely makes me wonder what happened to Bubbles considering she's terrified of everyone and has a paralysed tail...

blackangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome. Your kitties are adorable!! And your photos are wonderful! Looking forward to more. :wavey:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
VERY beautiful cats. The photos are excellent as well. Great job capturing your kitties. I love the second picture of Tank. I am glad that he is feeling better too. Welcome to the site!!! :wavey:

Last edited:

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitties are gorgeous and I love your skills with the camera!   I'm sorry your Tank is going through bladder problems.  My Minky Boodle had a cystotomy back in 2010 to clean out crystals that completely blocked his urethra.  He fought a hard battle to live from that experience, long story, but he's completely recovered and hasn't had a relapse yet.  Almost five years!  *yay*  I hope that gives you a little bit of hope since this is all new for you and Tank to deal with.  

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
VERY beautiful cats. The photos are excellent as well. Great job capturing your kitties. I love the second picture of Tank. I am glad that he is feeling better too. Welcome to the site!!!
Thank you 

Your kitties are gorgeous and I love your skills with the camera!   I'm sorry your Tank is going through bladder problems.  My Minky Boodle had a cystotomy back in 2010 to clean out crystals that completely blocked his urethra.  He fought a hard battle to live from that experience, long story, but he's completely recovered and hasn't had a relapse yet.  Almost five years!  *yay*  I hope that gives you a little bit of hope since this is all new for you and Tank to deal with.  
Thanks! Tank seems to be on the mend for now, I'm just hoping that he won't relapse any time soon! 
 Glad your boy came through his issues okay!!

Beautiful cats, really beautiful especially the calico.
Thanks! 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

HELLO SEBY, TANK AND BUBBLES !! 

WELCOME maddogdodge!! 

FROM raysmyheart AND SPEEDY!! 

Speedy and I both think that Seby has some siamese facial features in his first photo!  (Speedy is a siamese mix, she would know!!)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. You have some beautiful cats.

I have a brother who lives in Australia, he's got a kelpie too.

Looking forward to hearing more about your fabulous furry three.

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

HELLO SEBY, TANK AND BUBBLES !! 

WELCOME maddogdodge!! 

FROM raysmyheart AND SPEEDY!! 

Speedy and I both think that Seby has some siamese facial features in his first photo!  (Speedy is a siamese mix, she would know!!)

Thanks for the welcome! 

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Welcome to The Cat Site. You have some beautiful cats.

I have a brother who lives in Australia, he's got a kelpie too.

Looking forward to hearing more about your fabulous furry three.
Thanks 

Kelpies are one of the most common dogs around here.... and they're the best dogs if you ask me, I might be a bit biased though 

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitties are so adorable!  I've always had a soft spot for calicos especially.  My current kitties aren't calico but their momma is.

I echo the others on your photography skills being excellent.  The photos are beautiful.