Hi Everyone Its Been Awhile- Need Help

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everyone i posted on here a year ago when my female was pregant she had three healthy kittens who we got homes for two and kept one a black female....anyways maggie got out about 8-9 weeks ago and is now sporting quite the big belly ...she isnt eating much today when she has been wolfing down the food the last couple of weeks so i would say that she is nearly at the end she so much bigger than last time so im expecting a bigger litter . by the way she will be getting spayed after this litter most definately because im not putting her through this again and i dont want to keep contributing to the kitten population. Anyways i just wanted to know what colour you think the kittens will be i have no idea what colour the dad was but she is black and white....last litter she had one tabby one fully black with a few light white patches...and a blue and white (maggies dad was a russian blue) i kmow its a guessing game i have seen a calico cat hanging around but have been told its been desexed but you never know lol any ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Valicos are seldom male and some of them sterile / lower fertility.
Momma carries white spot very dominant black dominant and the recessive diluting.

Tabby and the other diluting gene in that pair were from ex husband.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless Maggie's dad was a purebred cat from a breeder with papers, it wasn't a Russian Blue it just happened to be that color. If it was a stray it was a mixed breed. Purebreds are very rare, rarely strays and rarely even in the shelters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok according to my rough calculations maggie should be about 65 days now....shes been leaking milk for three days now and look very very big shes been the same eating and drinking although a bit smaller portions(i dont think she could fit much more in there though lol) she tired a lot which is to be expected im just waiting but starting to wonder if she will ever go into labour picture attached for guesses

Attachments

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
jen her dad wasnt a stray he was his owners pet which was brought from a breeder so he was indeed a russian blue

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without knowing what color the dad is there's no way to say what the girls will look like (females get one color gene from each parent, boys get one color gene from mom only). But the boys will all be black or blue, with varying amounts of white. They may be tabby or solid.

Calicos are almost always female so it's a fair bet that isn't the daddy ;).

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is black and white, but has a parent who was blue (therefore has the recessive dilute gene), all male kittens will be black or blue. Tabby is also a possibility based on if the father carries the gene.

Female kittens will be black or blue if the father is also black, if the father is ginger they could be tortoiseshell (or dilute tortoiseshell). Tabby is also a possibility.

You can count out the calico being the father. Colour is passed on the X chromosome, and black and red are both dominant, so if a cat receives a different coloured X from both sides they are calico/tortie. This means that most calico cats are female. Male calicos are rare, usually XXY and this means theyre infertile.

She is half black, half white, so carries at least one white spot gene. If the father is solid coloured, the kittens have a 50/50 chance of being either solid or up to half white (anything from one tiny patch to tuxedo). If the father is less than half white, they could have anything from solid to mostly white. If the father is mostly white, all of the kittens will have some white on them, anything from a few patches here and there to almost totally white. This applies to all kittens of any sex, as only the base fur colour is sex dependent.

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so tomorrow maggie will be on day 67 at the earliest she still hasnt had the kittens so on wednesday which will be day 70 im going to take her to the vet if she hasnt had them is this common im really worried about her as i know shes been inside for at least 67 days andshe was got out for about a week before that shes ok in herself she still eating etc but last time she had kittens she didnt go this far....also we kept one of her daughters from her last litter could she be holding off because of her and will she be ok around the kittens when she has them ?.

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maggie had two kittens last night its been twelve hours and she still looks like she has more in there its hard to tell if thats the case or if she isjust lumpy due to giving birth the kittens dont seem to be as big as her last litter too although they look perfectly happy and feed fine ...shes eating drinking and seems fine no contractions or anything she just looked huge so im stumped....also her daughter from a previous litter is being really angry towards her growling and starting fights and hissing poor maggie just wants to give her daughter some attention as well but as soon as she smelt her it was like she thought she was a different cat please help.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Separate older dau from momma immediately. Reintroduce them later on.

If momma is ok no visible troubles you can wait.

Observe but stay calm

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens on the 13th she only had 2 and she looked like she still had another lump in her but she was done
Shes probably just a lil chubby at the moment in the next 2 days she will shrink back down like my cat did.
If shes not showing contractions shes probably not in labor anymore, but cats can go a day before having the next kitten so just keep an eye on her

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maggie had her kitens 2 and a half weeks ago she has just gone into heat will she still feed her kittens or will she leave them alone she is currently throwing herself around smd doing the “dance” i was just a bit worried she wouldnt tend to her two kittens

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this is normal. You must watch out she cant get out into amoreus adventures. Cats arent protected by nursing, humans are in some degree.

She will continue to take care of her kittens, but somewhat less during the heat. So its a reason to watch out extra if they get enough, if they gain weight enough. 10+ grammes a day is normal for healthy kittens, sometimes twice this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat get pregnant with one week old kittens, so watch out! She will take care of her kittens, just observe her and make sure. Keep her away from the males or she will be nursing two litters and that is hard on everyone. Especially the newborns who get pushed away by their older siblings. Plan on having this fertile Mertle spayed as soon as possible or you will have hundreds of kittens to find homes for when those females start having babies. It is a vicious cycle.

tigernmaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
need some advice again....maggies first born a little girl was born tail first maggie was pushing for ages and absolutely screamed when she did come out i was at the point of nearly calling the vet actually was dialling them as she had her ....anyways now they are 3 and a half weeks old and walking ive noticed she walks with both legs splayed out she doesnt seem to be in any pain and is the sweetest thing could during the birth process she got hurt ? pic to show what im talking about ...(shes near my son) the boy walks fine

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone more knowledgeable comes on, but it may be a hip problem. Most birthing problems with legs CAN be helped, but she may need a splint, etc. to do it. Can you get a couple more pictures of her trying to walk?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs massage to help her ligaments loosen.

I will look for posts from catwoman707 catwoman707 where she explains, but paging her in the meantime.

EDIT: I think this kitten may need eventual bracing to help her walk with her legs under her, but for now you want to help by bicycling the legs gently and helping her to walk with them under her. She needs physical therapy and frequent attention, but should be fine! Don't delay.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry it took so long for a reply!
It depends on whether her legs are twisted or what is called 'swimmers foot' where they simply splay outward and look like she's swimming.
If they are not twisted, then I would get them braced ASAP, while she is growing so fast and is still developing and fine tuning.
Using her front legs in standing position, measure the distance between the front legs, add an inch and thats what the distance will need to be for brace.
Basically take a piece of soft thicker/sturdy type fabric that has a small amt of stretch but not much, cut a strip, and secure around her back ankles, the distance should be what you measured.
This will keep her legs from splaying and will allow the muscles to strengthen.
If done right, soft, not tight on ankles, right distance then this should be worn 24/7.
Watch how fast her legs are right!