Hi Everyone! First time cat owner question about Cornish Rex Breeders

ochowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone, As mentioned in the title I am a potential first time cat owner and I've settled on Cornish Rex's. I've talked to a few breeders but I'm not sure if they're good responsible breeders. All of them have invited me to come visit the cats and pick them up myself. One of the breeders said that they would take care of the Spay/Neutering and also get all of the cat's shots. I haven't talked to any about health or lineage guarantees yet but I think that's the next thing on my list. I know from browsing the forums that there was a list of disreputable Cornish breeders going around but the people involved in those threads don't seem like they still post here. Any list of good breeders and especially those to stay away from would be very we

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!  Though I don't know much about Cornish Rex's, I think they are beautiful.  I would recommend posting your questions in the Cat Breeds, Cat Breeding and Showing forum.   I think there would be some members there who could give you some advice on what you need to look for in a good breeder.  I can't wait to see pictures of the cat or kitten who is right for you.  Please feel free to post...we love pictures here.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ochowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried posting there but you need a minimum post count. If mods could speed that up I would appreciate it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Try it now. You'd probably have better luck simply looking for breeders in your area, though. This is an international forum, and it doesn't maintain breeder lists. There's an article outlining what to look for in a breeder that might help: Selecting A Cat Breeder

ochowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try it now. You'd probably have better luck simply looking for breeders in your area, though. This is an international forum, and it doesn't maintain breeder lists. There's an article outlining what to look for in a breeder that might help: Selecting A Cat Breeder
Unfortunately there aren't many active breeders in my area. One of them recommended another breeder and I just wanted to run it by someone to make sure that the breeder is responsible (seemed that way to me but I'm still nervous of being wrong).

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's a few things to think about

Have you tried googling this breeders name and their cattery name ?

Do they show their own cats ?

Are there a lot of cats they bred on the show scene ?

Do they register all their kittens with one of the cat fancies/organisations ?

What age do they let their kittens go to new homes ? - this should NOT be before 10 weeks old preferable 12 weeks.

Last edited:

ochowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have. I found their website which looks decent and has pictures of the cats. If you could help me I could send you a link in PM and you could tell me what you think.

They do show their own cats.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but it seems there are a fair bit from their cattery that I saw in results.

I'm not sure I haven't asked.

What age do they let their kittens go to new homes ? - this should NOT be before 10 weeks old preferable 12 weeks.

Between 4 and 5 months so I guess between 16-20 weeks or so.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have. I found their website which looks decent and has pictures of the cats. If you could help me I could send you a link in PM and you could tell me what you think.

They do show their own cats.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but it seems there are a fair bit from their cattery that I saw in results.

I'm not sure I haven't asked.

Between 4 and 5 months so I guess between 16-20 weeks or so.
They seem serious, no typical BYBs in any case.   Btw, what country are you in?

If they are participating in Shows, they are apparently registrered and members in some big association.  Which, you can probably see on the results from the Show, as the associations usually held their own shows.  Ie usually, the Shows are one association shows....  Cats from other recognized associations can be shown there, but usually outside the official competition.

Sometimes they may be double-registered, of course.

A real serious breeder you do want to cooperate with, does register ALL born kittens, even these who arent 100% succesful (say, wrong shape of spots or too much hair on a hairless cat), and thus, designed to be sold as pet qualtiy kittens.

Breeders ARE supposed to register all born kittens, at least in the European big organization FIFe, but it wouldnt surprise me if many try not to register these less succesful - not because they want to save a few dollars, but not to risk and harm their name of their Breedery...

Not so few breeders are quite touchy, and mean to their competitors,  rude hearsays moving around the milieu...   It is not supposed to be so, but not seldom is so

16-20 weeks is rather late.   16 MAY happen, I have heard of such.  Especielly if they are sold as already spayed, it may easily happen.

But 20?      I suspect these are these who got unsold.   Now, it doesnt means there needs to be any fault.  I have heard about a couple of leading Russian Blue breeders who did start with such  unsold 20 weeks...  And they said they were lucky and happy they did found a yet unsold kitten, as good kittens are difficult to find.  You may sometimes stand in a queue even a couple of years....

Here I suspect, they think, you are a new cat owner, you dont say you are anxious to start a new cattery and need a matriark.

What you need is a healthy, problem free kitten, with a stabile psyche, who will be an excellent family member, and whom you may test to participate in some Shows for the fun of it.   He will perhaps not win any big titles for you, but nobody will snirk nor laugh at you, if you participate.

And this you will surely get, as long as you arent lured to pay overprices...

Some rremarks, there are surely more...

Good luck!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You will often find that there is an association for the breed of cat you are interested in adopting within your country, and also information on the governing body for cat breeding and showing for the country that you live.  Here in the UK the governing body, GCCF, holds a list of breeders / names who are banned from breeding cats and the reason/s for this ban.  They also have some links to breeders for certain varieties of cat.  The cat breed associations that are affiliated with the governing body for your country will also probably have lists of recognised breeders.   The GCCF web site also has some useful advice on what to look for when you contact or visit breeders, and what to ask about and look for in terms of getting a kitten or cat.  I'm sure the other governing bodies will do that too.

Going to cat shows is a good way to meet the breeders face to face before actually deciding to do business with them, and to see what some of their cats are like.

ochowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

They seem serious, no typical BYBs in any case.   Btw, what country are you in?

If they are participating in Shows, they are apparently registrered and members in some big association.  Which, you can probably see on the results from the Show, as the associations usually held their own shows.  Ie usually, the Shows are one association shows....  Cats from other recognized associations can be shown there, but usually outside the official competition.

Sometimes they may be double-registered, of course.

A real serious breeder you do want to cooperate with, does register ALL born kittens, even these who arent 100% succesful (say, wrong shape of spots or too much hair on a hairless cat), and thus, designed to be sold as pet qualtiy kittens.

Breeders ARE supposed to register all born kittens, at least in the European big organization FIFe, but it wouldnt surprise me if many try not to register these less succesful - not because they want to save a few dollars, but not to risk and harm their name of their Breedery...

Not so few breeders are quite touchy, and mean to their competitors,  rude hearsays moving around the milieu...   It is not supposed to be so, but not seldom is so

16-20 weeks is rather late.   16 MAY happen, I have heard of such.  Especielly if they are sold as already spayed, it may easily happen.

But 20?      I suspect these are these who got unsold.   Now, it doesnt means there needs to be any fault.  I have heard about a couple of leading Russian Blue breeders who did start with such  unsold 20 weeks...  And they said they were lucky and happy they did found a yet unsold kitten, as good kittens are difficult to find.  You may sometimes stand in a queue even a couple of years....

Here I suspect, they think, you are a new cat owner, you dont say you are anxious to start a new cattery and need a matriark.

What you need is a healthy, problem free kitten, with a stabile psyche, who will be an excellent family member, and whom you may test to participate in some Shows for the fun of it.   He will perhaps not win any big titles for you, but nobody will snirk nor laugh at you, if you participate.

And this you will surely get, as long as you arent lured to pay overprices...

Some rremarks, there are surely more...

Good luck!
Hey, thanks for the response. I talked with the breeder again and they do register all the kittens with the CFA. In terms of the 16-20 weeks, I want to clarify that currently the kittens are a little over 3 months old. The breeder said she generally releases them around 4 months spayed/neutered but sometimes 5 months also (I guess those would be the ones they have trouble selling). Also, the breeder mentioned that she does do a standard contract with a health guarentee as well. All in all it seems like it's a reputable breeder and I'm hoping to see the kittens soon and move forward in the process.

Thanks everyone for the help!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey, thanks for the response. I talked with the breeder again and they do register all the kittens with the CFA. In terms of the 16-20 weeks, I want to clarify that currently the kittens are a little over 3 months old. The breeder said she generally releases them around 4 months spayed/neutered but sometimes 5 months also (I guess those would be the ones they have trouble selling). Also, the breeder mentioned that she does do a standard contract with a health guarentee as well. All in all it seems like it's a reputable breeder and I'm hoping to see the kittens soon and move forward in the process.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Sounds pretty reputable to me too.

Having a breeder hang onto a cat or dog may not always mean they're having trouble selling it (although it surely can).

Occasionally a breeder will hang onto an animal to see watch its potential as a breed animal. l got my dog at 4 1/2 months after they watched him and subsequently rejected him. He was beautiful but flawed.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

ochowie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I decided to take the leap and I worked with the breeder to get a Cornish Rex boy. I am picking him up from the transporter/vet tomorrow. Here is a picture of him from today's travels. He is not a fan of flight delays.

Last edited: