Hi! Any ideas where to donate cat food past its best by date?

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks everyone for helping out with my other thread and recent loss of a kitten I raised. Anyway, we find ourselves with donated wet cat food past its best by date - now by about 6 mos. Most is wild salmon. It was donated when we suddenly found ourselves with 3 new cats and extra kittens. It's all good quality. Much of it was past its best by when we received it, but I didn't realize it at the time. Also, the kitties aren't wild about it (though they used to be when they were kittens). If it's of use to any entity I don't want it to go to waste. I just called a horse farm, for instance, but realized that probably won't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve found the best option is someone that feeds feral cats, sometimes shelters won’t take one-off foods since they want to be consistent with what they feed. When I had expired or rejected foods I looked on NextDoor and found someone who feeds a feral colony. They are always looking for any donations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thx maggie, cat mccannon, and karenkat (w/a tortie that looks kinda like mine in coloring). I actually had emailed the mfgers a long time ago asking how long food is actually good for (even if past best by date). never got reply. will try the feral route but they might not even want since it's some months past. any other ideas welcome. thanks again!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cannd food should be good indefinitely as long as the can isn't damaged. As in, flavor may suffer but it won't make anyone sick. But shelters may not be able to accept out-of-date foods for liability reasons.

I'd try feral caretakers; even if their cats don't really like it they could mix one can with their usual stuff and still get some use out of it.