hi all, worried my cat may be sick

ngforever1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
as with most of u, i absolutely love my cat, both of them. but as of late im starting to worry about my older one. we recently got a kitten, someone for her to play with and keep her company ya kno. well wen we got him he had a lot of bald spots on him, even the tail. we got this fungus spray which seems to be working, hair is starting to grow back and soon he'll be good to go. well it must have been a fungus cus it spread to my older cat, so we starting spraying her, it wasnt bad on her we caught it in time where it was only a lil bit on her face and the edges of her ears, so hopefully she'll be fine too. well finally onto wat im worried about, now she cant be no more than 4 or 5 months old, we got her as a stray very young and took her in, she was healthy and all, but lately shes starting to lay around, i kno cats get lazy wen there bored, but shes did it all of a sudden, one day shes was chasing the laser light like a mad cat, now she barely even looks at it, sleeps constantly, and it always gettin mad at the younger one wen he tried to play with her, at this moment they both happen to be sleeping in my lap lol. the reason im worried is these changed in her behavior happens very suddenly and i dont have the money right now to get her in with a vet(in between jobs) and i will find it if i have to but i dont want to take her in just because it "may" be sick. i was hoping someone out there could help me out. thanks you in advance and i beg u for help, im so worried about her.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She needs to go to a vet. She *IS* sick. I just had to put one of my furbabies down because her liver was failing. All you have to is add in not eating and you have described exactly what Maude's symptoms were. Her liver was almost at the point of total failure and it didn't take long for it to be as bad as it was and there was no other choice but to put her down. Technically she was my boyfriend's and he had canceled an appointment for her the week prior because he thought she seemed better only to go in a week later and it be too late for her. You need to take her to the vet and she needs to go today or tomorrow. Yes, a few days can make a big difference.

May I ask why you got another cat when you don't have the money to provide vet care for your first cat?

Taryn

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vets belong to the Care Credit system. You can apply on line, at the vets or over the phone.

You are approved that day and are totally covered for your visit. You are approved for a certain amount. I was approved immediately and did not pay the vet at all.

www.carecredit.com. No one is going to offer any suggestions except to get your cat to the vet. When we take on a cat, we take on the financial responsibility to do all we can for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ngforever1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i didnt come here to be criticized, i believe i mentioned in that huge paragraph that i am in between jobs, i quit my lost job for a plethora of reasons, and wen we got the kitten i was still employed. But his appetite is normal, both of theirs in fact.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where did you this "fungus spray" from? Was it prescribed by a Vet? Or was it some kind of spray from a store? I would be very leary about applying some product that a Vet didn't prescribe (if this was the case), for something that wasn't even diagnosed. Who knows what chemical are in it that could be very negatively impacting your older cat's Kidneys and Liver?

Was it some kind of Fungus spray for humans? (Like Tinactin or the type humans use for athelete's foot fungus?) God I hope not because if it was a spray intended for humans, that was definitely not a smart thing to do and this could KILL a cat !!

I'm sorry but there is no other advise we can give you here except that your older cat MUST be seen by a Vet. There is something wrong here and none of us here are Vets. There could be a dozen different things it could be, we can only guess and your kitty needs more than a "guess." Kitty needs to see the Vet, have bloodwork done. ASAP. This is critical. This isn't something you can wait on. Talk to your Vet office and see if they'll allow you to pay off the bill with post-dated checks over a period of time. Or contact your local Humane Society or ASPCA and see if they can recommend a low-cost vet clinic if there is one. Do whatever you can do to get your kitty into a Vet - as soon as possible.

And when you go to the Vet, take with you the Spray you were using......so Vet can read the ingredients. Again, it's very possible that some of the chemicals in the spray have caused a problem.

Is your cat eating? drinking?

Peeing? Pooping?

do your cats go outside?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the advice on here is meant to replace veterinary care. Anytime there is a major change in a cat's behavior it is serious.

What I want to know is, who told you to use a anti-fungal spray? Yes, some of the creams can be used under vet supervision, but even those run the risk of irritating a cats skin and even making them sick. I and others have had it cause burn like irritation.
The main ingredients in anti-fungal treatments of all kinds are hard on a cat's liver (actually any animal/humans liver) - even the pill/paste meds a vet can prescribe should not be used lightly. It's possible that the sprays main and other inactive ingredients did make your kitty sick, with the main worry being liver damage.

As Taryn shared, it's serious and can mean your cat's life. She needs a vet.

Can you work for a family member or friend - baby sit? Clean? Help someone fix something/paint? Sell/pawn something? Borrow some money?
Surely you have something you're good at that may help you out.

O/T: to anyone reading, if YOU are ever on any anti-fungal medications or metronidazole DO NOT drink any alcohol what so ever. Due to how these meds affect the liver, and that alcohol does, too, you'll make yourself very sick.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ngforever1989

i didnt come here to be criticized, i believe i mentioned in that huge paragraph that i am in between jobs, i quit my lost job for a plethora of reasons, and wen we got the kitten i was still employed. But his appetite is normal, both of theirs in fact.
Nobody here is criticizing you, its just that everyone here is concerned about the health of cats. When someone comes on the site looking for answers to health problems that could potentially be deadly to the cat, the only thing anyone here can tell you in a situation like this is to take your kitty to see a vet. None of us are vets, and there is nothing we could do over the internet. We've had several members lately who have lost cats, and the advice given to take your cat to a vet is just to try to prevent that from happening to you. Please don't take these posts as offensive, they really aren't meant like that at all. Sometimes, our passion for cats can come off to sound mean.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, the fact that it's a pump spray product meant for cats is a small relief (pump spray stuff tends to have less ingredients in it than an aerosols). But it could still have something bad in it as there are many dubious cat products.

What are the ingredients? There wasn't tea tree in it, was there?

You kitty still needs a vet, and you should take that spray with you. Hopefully it's not related to this product.

ETA: Looked up the main ingredients. Allantoin and benzalkonium chloride do seem to be safe for use in cats but not something you'd use without talking to ones vet.

ngforever1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
imma look into wat farley said and see if i get approved

ngforever1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wat u mean update, i just posted the pictures the other day. (sry if i misunderstand)

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

wat u mean update, i just posted the pictures the other day. (sry if i misunderstand)
hi ngforever, we just want to know how your cat is doing? did you get approved for the vet care etc?basically how your cat is doing?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

An update means "How is your cat today?"

Please read rule 1 of "The Cat Site" Rules

1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage

ngforever1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well an update i just got right now, it seems its ringworm, my girlfriend got it, luckily im only 20 i dont have kids lol, but shes a cna and she asked her on call nurse at her work, and her mom(both nurses) shes getting ur prescript meds for it today and shes getting ringworm meds for the cats too. i dont have it, of course not i never get anything other than the common cold lol. but ill update wen i find out if the ringworm med starts to work

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've learned the hard way that any slight changes in a cat's normal behavior is reason for concern when it's ongoing. If they just act a little off for a day, I probably wouldn't think too much of it. But if they start doing anything out of their routine and they don't go back to their normal thing after a few days, then I'd start worrying. And if they stop eating, you need to get them into the vet ASAP.

ngforever1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i dont mean to be rude, but u do not have to re-interate, ive been told the stuff about eating 3 times now, my cats have never had problems eating, they both eat rather healthily, and the lethargy, jeejee is back to normal, as for the ringworm, we are treating that now. i talked to a vet personally(off business) she told me that they use the same treatment for ringworm that humans get for it, and even over the counter anti-fungal creams for ringworm work just as well on pets. at the moment we have both of those and im taking ur advice and using them. ill let u all kno the progress as soon as i kno

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean that you're using a pill anti-fungal and an anti-fungal cream for the cats? Your text is a bit unclear on this.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i dont mean to be rude, but u do not have to re-interate, ive been told the stuff about eating 3 times now
I don't mean to be rude, but people here are only trying to help. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but you responded to Ruby35, who just had to make the decision to say goodbye to her loved one. I will admit that I cry each and every time that I hear about someone having to say goodbye to their pets. I don't expect you to know everyone's story and posting history, but please don't react negatively when someone is just trying to share their experiences.

I haven't been on this forum real long, but the one thing I am sure of is that the people here are very knowledgeable and compassionate. Please don't get upset if you get the same advice multiple times, it just means that many of us have experienced what you are going through.

And a lot of people read these forums, any advice given to you might very well help someone else with their own cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

I don't mean to be rude, but people here are only trying to help. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but you responded to Ruby35, who just had to make the decision to say goodbye to her loved one. I will admit that I cry each and every time that I hear about someone having to say goodbye to their pets. I don't expect you to know everyone's story and posting history, but please don't react negatively when someone is just trying to share their experiences.

I haven't been on this forum real long, but the one thing I am sure of is that the people here are very knowledgeable and compassionate. Please don't get upset if you get the same advice multiple times, it just means that many of us have experienced what you are going through.

And a lot of people read these forums, any advice given to you might very well help someone else with their own cat.
Well said.

to OP, please do keep us updated on how your cat and kitten are doing.

We care.