Hi all need some help

kayleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 male kittens who are nearly 6 months, does anybody have any good tips on disciplining my kittens because they like to climb up onto the worktops and in to the sink just after I eat food to get at the dirty plates and they climb on them all the time and I would like to know how I could keep them off the worktops, they also try to snatch the food off me sometimes when i am eating. Any help or tips would be great thank you.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I've always found that removing the object of interest (if possible) and a firm "No" works pretty well with my guys, although there is always evidence that when I'm away from the house they do it anyways

We'd love to see pictures of your two sweeties!

fastcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't really heard any good ways to discipline a cat, maybe someone else here will have some good tips for you! I don't discipline my cats, but I do reward them when they exhibit a "good" behavior with a treat. I had dogs before I ever had any cats, and from my experience with dogs animals learn better with positive reinforcement than they do with disciplinary actions. Have you tried to keep your kittens in another room when you are eating? One of my kittens is just a bit older than yours (about 7 months old) and a few months ago he went through a stage where he would get into EVERYTHING. He has grown out of this in the past month or so, this could perhaps just be because they are so young and curious at 6 months old.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I've always found that removing the object of interest (if possible) and a firm "No" works pretty well with my guys, although there is always evidence that when I'm away from the house they do it anyways

We'd love to see pictures of your two sweeties!

Sounds like you have two normal kittens!

Try shutting them out of the room when you eat, and don't leave dirty dishes lying around - put them in the dishwasher or wash them up and put them away.  If you can't shut them out while you eat, simply drop them back on the floor or push them away.

Disiplining cats doesn't usually work - they are not dogs - it's much more about finding a way of managing the behaviour.

manxy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A water bottle with a teaspoon of vinegar and water and a light mist on the nose followed by the word No works with my 5 kids