Hey I've got a Mini / Dwarf Cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Malexy47, this thread was started nearly 2 years ago. The kitten has already found a home.

I don't know anything about dwarf cats. Maybe you can ask your questions in the Breeders section.

Tricia

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's the Munchkin breed. They say they are healthy (though it's a new breed so we dont' really know yet); but they are more like short-legged than small--kind of like kitty Dachshunds.

If you are simply looking for a cat that will be 8-10 pounds in adulthood, you could go to the shelters and look around for a small adult cat. And the runt of the litter can also be small--though it may (or may not) have health problems. If you want a cat which is already litter box trained, probably spayed, probably immunized, and has a well-established personality, then get an adult. If getting a kitten is like adopting a rambunctious, cute, into-everything toddler, then adopting an adult is like getting a feline roommate--somebody whom you get to know on equal terms. I prefer adults, personally; but obviously, kittens do grow up and settle down eventually.

Some breeds are smaller than others, though I'm not sure which ones. Maybe the breeders can inform you? (Why is size so important to you, incidentally? Cats don't vary that much... though I'll admit there's a lot of difference between an 8-pound and an 18-pound cat.)

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
adioking;997170 said:
Hey everybody! I was looking around the net for a group of people who know cats well. I have this little dwarf calico colored cat named Gipsy. Unfortunately, I need to sell her because of landlord issues (they are apparently allergic). I'm in MN and trying to sell her in the local newspaper to a good owner. Is there any other place that you would recommend listing her?

Does anybody know what kind of cat this is (breed) and how much I should sell her for to make a quick sale and still get a reasonable price?

Here is a picture of her, shes super adorable and a little over a pound in weight, although she is nearly 6 months old now.

Gipsy Cat by Pop Can 1

I would ask an adoption fee. "Selling" isin't exactly the right word when rehoming a kitten. I couldn't see her pictures either. Kittens being "dwarf" can actually be caused by genetic problems. I have a friend who rescued a kitten that never grew past a few ounces. At 8 months old the kitten had to be put to sleep. She had a cleft lip and pallet, reduced organ function, and was unable to absorb nutrition into her body. She was quite sick. Being dwarf isin't nessicarley a good thing and shouldn't be marketed as such - as it can be tied to a whole slew of genetic abnormabilities that aren't good for the cat or her offspring. You should absalutley have her spayed - if not before adoption - then require it afterwards. A "dwarf" moggy isin't one that should be breeding.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... very small kittens are usually unhealthy. But if you get into the 5-8 pound range, they are generally just petite and can be just as healthy as any other. Baby Girl, my 1 1/2 year old cat, is only 8 pounds, for example; and she's quite healthy. That's why I recommended finding a smaller adult at a shelter rather than trying to adopt a 'teacup kitten'; because small kittens often are either unhealthy or grow into normal size adults.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Since this cat has a home and the thread is over two years old, I am now closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.