Hey! I need help identifying my cat breed.

heavens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My last post seemed to have a lot of photos but out of place so I made a new post. I'm kinda new to this forum,please bear with me if I make any mistakes :). This is Mimi, he's only three weeks old. I was wondering if he's an American Short Hair but it's possible that he can be another type of cat. Does anybody have an idea of what type of cat he could be?

View media item 282830
View media item 282831

Last edited by a moderator:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, Mimi"s a little cutie! Love that dark tabby colouring. :D
I'd say he's a domestic short hair, I don't know about being an official American Shorthair unless he came from a breeder.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's cute.  American Short Hairs are actually a cat breed in and of themselves....you may have been thinking Domestic Short Hair, which is our typical "mutt" cat, of unknown lineage.  Basically we just class them by the length of the coat!  For the vast majority of the time, unless your kitty came from a breeder, any resemblance to an actual breed is fairly random...of course sometimes adult purebred cats are surrendered to shelters and rescues, but rarely kittens, in my experience.  In our area, though, we did have an issue with a "breeder" of Norwegian Forest Cats, about ten years ago, who was abandoning off-standard kittens.  I put breeder in quotes because that's a beyond-lousy thing to do.  A few wound up as strays at the local shelter but they were clearly Norwegians.  Other than that, we'll see the odd Bengal at the shelter, and once a non-standard Munchkin (normal length legs, but came with his papers!) kitten.

Personally I love the wide range of markings, patterns, and colors that exist in the domestic population of non-purebred cats.  Just because your cat isn't a purebred doesn't mean that he isn't adorable, unique, and totally deserving of love and spoiling!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could we see a good photo of his side?   The pattern isnt clearly visible, but on the photo 1 the light swirl reminds me much on the contrasts found in classic tabby.

(and yes, I agree with both above - he is surely a domestic).

This kitten is awfully young - just 3 weeks!   He is really a orphan, and should be taken care as such.   KMR / goat milk in bottle, etc, including lotsa of love and loving fuss.

Even as being adopted by you he technically isnt orphan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heavens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! These are a lot of ideas =D! You guys are amazing at tell 2nd which type of cat he is. At first, I thought he resembled to the breed I referred earlier XD but now I got a clear observation because of you guys =). When I get home ill take a clear picture of his side but he's definitely a domestic breed since the person person let the two cats mate together =). He's definitely young and I've heard stories of how its recommended for a kitten to be adopted at 9-10 weeks but I didn't know until it was too late. I did extensive research and now I'm raising him the proper way. I have formula, litterbox, plenty of attention. I also clean his behind or mimic the mothers tongue. I am willing to take him to a vet of course =D but for now, I'm following the advice closely. It's a tough job but its worth it =). Thanks for the comment, compliments and advice =)! Ill go home soon to take him a picture of his side

heavens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your definitely on point along with StefanZ. I'm sorry to hear about the breeder problem but I hope it solved because the kitten is like a baby and cats are like us! They require the same needs as us, forming strong bonds like dogs =D. Definitely its a domestic breed, I thought it was an American Short Hair but now I know the meaning of the name of breed as well how its born. Thank you so souch =D

heavens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The same goes for push lady's =D you guys are on point with discovering breeds =D

mycoreyoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty kitten!  What does the belly look like?  Can you get a good pic of her pattern on her body?