Hey, Carolina!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get a chance to see the President while he was in your town?

I remember how excited I was to see JFK when he was in a parade in Denver (my home town) in about 1961. That would have put me in about 3rd grade.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I remember how excited I was to see JFK when he was in a parade in Denver (my home town) in about 1961. That would have put me in about 3rd grade.
Hehe did you see me on the news? I was on Fox news, Univision, KERA (that's me with the sign) I made a huge mistake, I was nervous, and I said he was in the office for 8 months instead of 1 yr and 8 months
, CBS, Radio stations, etc... It was fun!

The Tea Party showed up and it was weird - some members were throwing the "F word", which made the whole thing pretty uncomfortable... pretty ugly actually... I would never ever expect that. They were also protesting the war - "Money for education and not for occupation" - that threw me out for a loup! The war was not started by Obama.... hello-o
But he was having dinner 1/2 mile away from my house here in Highland Park, so we got to see the motocade, hold the signs, and we didn't see him, but I do think he saw us!

Loved it!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think he was only here for a little over an hour, Mike. However, my niece, who attends UTA (Austin), was in the audience and she is one excited little lady!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina, what did your sign say? Was it for the President, or the other people there?

It's easy to make a mistake (like your "8 months" thing, or Obama's "57 states") when you're suddenly in the spotlight and speak without preparation.

Do you think they would have put me on if I made a statement in French?

Did you know that non-Tea Party members have been posing as Tea Partiers, in an effort to make them look bad? Not saying that happened where you were, but it has been happening. Strange that they would be protesting about Afghanistan; but that's a group that can surprise you every time you see them. Maybe they're just drawing causes and chants out of a hat, just before the event?

But anyone who knows me knows that I personally think that if "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent," then verbal abuse and profanity is the their next-to-last refuge. I've never seen a time when that sort of thing helped a cause.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did you know that non-Tea Party members have been posing as Tea Partiers, in an effort to make them look bad? Not saying that happened where you were, but it has been happening. Strange that they would be protesting about Afghanistan; but that's a group that can surprise you every time you see them. Maybe they're just drawing causes and chants out of a hat, just before the event?
I hear you about the Tea Party... About the war, I simply could not understand, nor believe my eyes - I was completely confused. These were the very same people that supported the war during the Bush era - this war is not Obama's war... It was not started by him, nor it had his support. If anything the Democratic party was largely criticized for wanting to end it quickly. The Republicans until not long ago were criticizing him for not sending more troops to Afheganistan... And now to see all these signs was just weird. And it is not something I am saying - it was the main protest - the chant was "Money for education, not for occupation". Mind you, the Republicans NEVER called the war an occupation during the Bush's government - that was the last word they wanted associated with the was. They called the Iraq war "liberating". Well, I felt like saying: "Bush lives 5 miles down the road - go chant overthere, clearly you got the wrong address!" It was shocking to me. For those who don't believe it, watch the video - it is all there.

But anyone who knows me knows that I personally think that if "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent," then verbal abuse and profanity is the their next-to-last refuge. I've never seen a time when that sort of thing helped a cause.
I am telling you I was afraid at one point - they were very angry people. Even when were were simply walking holding the sign, I heard quite a few F-Us, go "F" home, Obama F'ng Sucks, etc. They were screaming! Nasty. IMO completely counterproductive too; if I was an inteligent person considering affiliating myself with that group, I would not do it after what I saw... Very very strange... Needless to say, the Secret Service closed down tight immediately with dogs and a lot of personnel.
It was a shame... I understand this is a democracy, but what they did was kind of ugly and uncalled for. It put a bad impression to my town, and I don't like that... It's a shame that people can't just be civilized on this sort of event.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I hear you about the Tea Party... About the war, I simply could not understand, nor believe my eyes - I was completely confused. These were the very same people that supported the war during the Bush era - this war is not Obama's war... It was not started by him, nor it had his support. If anything the Democratic party was largely criticized for wanting to end it quickly. The Republicans until not long ago were criticizing him for not sending more troops to Afheganistan... And now to see all these signs was just weird. And it is not something I am saying - it was the main protest - the chant was "Money for education, not for occupation". Mind you, the Republicans NEVER called the war an occupation during the Bush's government - that was the last word they wanted associated with the was. They called the Iraq war "liberating". Well, I felt like saying: "Bush lives 5 miles down the road - go chant overthere, clearly you got the wrong address!" It was shocking to me. For those who don't believe it, watch the video - it is all there.

I am telling you I was afraid at one point - they were very angry people. Even when were were simply walking holding the sign, I heard quite a few F-Us, go "F" home, Obama F'ng Sucks, etc. They were screaming! Nasty. IMO completely counterproductive too; if I was an inteligent person considering affiliating myself with that group, I would not do it after what I saw... Very very strange... Needless to say, the Secret Service closed down tight immediately with dogs and a lot of personnel.
It was a shame... I understand this is a democracy, but what they did was kind of ugly and uncalled for. It put a bad impression to my town, and I don't like that... It's a shame that people can't just be civilized on this sort of event.
There is just no call for behavior like that. As I said, people who do that are not helping their cause at all. Which, as I also said, opponents of the Tea Party know and have been calling for amongst their supporters. One of the biggest was crashtheteaparty.org, which has since shut down. Very nasty stuff there.

But there is just no call for behavior like that around the President's visit. Of course, I said the same thing when people were doing the same thing to George W. Bush. And to Bill Clinton. I'm like you; if I saw that, it would make me less likely to support them, not more.

I mentioned seeing JFK while he was President. We almost missed him, because there was so much protesting going on at one part of the parade that his motorcade left the parade route and skipped one section that was particularly raucous. So, I guess this thing is nothing new, and shouldn't shock us.

By the way, the Tea Party has always opposed the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, because their #1 cause is fiscal conservatism. The NeoConservatives, the group largely in original support of those wars, is none too popular amongst most Republicans, from what I hear.

I looked at your sign, and I watched your TV clips. Couldn't tell if you spoke Spanish OK or not.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I looked at your sign, and I watched your TV clips. Couldn't tell if you spoke Spanish OK or not.
Hehe it's what we call in Brasil Portunhol - a fine mixture of Portuguese and Spanish, or Espanhol

It worked I guess, if they showed on TV

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Coolcat, I can not save it to disk... see if you can see it here- click on this link (it's a hidden page)
I have a program (Download Helper, for FireFox) that can usually capture anything streaming, and it can't get that, either.