Hesitant about taking a stray kitten in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why wouldn't separating them at mealtime be a long term solution? I have one Cat that eats slower than the others and sometimes doesn't finish it all, so I have to put her in a bathroom with her food. It's not ideal, but it works.
Because I would like to get to a kind of management where the two cats have their own dishes and don't mix or steal from each other.
Maybe I'm a dreamer, but it is what I used to have with my previous kitties, two set of dishes that they would not use the other way round, and the food would sit in the dishes for hours, just waiting for the cats to be hungry.
If I'm out of home for long hours, I would like each of them to be able to have their own meal. Right now, Giada is eating her meal in a few seconds and can't have another one till the next mealtime, with two cats, if the other one wishes to save something for later, it would be impossible, because the first cat would eat from two dishes.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I would like to get to a kind of management where the two cats have their own dishes and don't mix or steal from each other.
Maybe I'm a dreamer, but it is what I used to have with my previous kitties, two set of dishes that they would not use the other way round, and the food would sit in the dishes for hours, just waiting for the cats to be hungry.
If I'm out of home for long hours, I would like each of them to be able to have their own meal. Right now, Giada is eating her meal in a few seconds and can't have another one till the next mealtime, with two cats, if the other one wishes to save something for later, it would be impossible, because the first cat would eat from two dishes.
Yeah, that's what I'm dealing with here. I have 3 Cats that inhale their food and one that takes her time. If I feed them in the same area, 2 of the 3 fast eaters will eat their food then camp next to the slow eater and wait for her to walk away then eat what's left in her bowl. The other fast eater will straight up shove the slow eater aside and steal her food.

I've found no way to deal with it aside from isolating the slow eater.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I'm dealing with here. I have 3 Cats that inhale their food and one that takes her time. If I feed them in the same area, 2 of the 3 fast eaters will eat their food then camp next to the slow eater and wait for her to walk away then eat what's left in her bowl. The other fast eater will straight up shove the slow eater aside and steal her food.

I've found no way to deal with it aside from isolating the slow eater.
I have to stand watch while they eat. Boone eats fast and Gracie takes her time. He will do like yours and wait for her to walk away most of the time but sometimes he tries to hurry her along so I have to step in. Usually not a big deal unless it's the last meal of the day and I really want to go to bed. Then I try to hurry Gracie along too. :lol:

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think slow and steady wins the race here. I just took in 2 feral kittens and after the vet stuff, we did smell swapping and lots of slow socializing. Everyone still gets time alone in their respective parts of the house, mostly for my dog. So we can slowly acclimate. Just take it really slow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it seems the cute kitten will eventually come home with us tomorrow.

In the last two days I managed to rescue her two siblings as well, two wonderful and sweet kittens.
The vet thought to test the kitten I'm going to adopt and her brother for FIV and FeLV.
The little girl tested negative for both, but her little brother tested positive for FIV.

Now, these kittens are about 6-7 weeks old. What do you think about these results?
I know that testing their mother would be the best option, but I haven't trapped her yet.
What would you do? Do you think the little girl is safe for living along another 15 month old healthy (and fully vaccinated) kitty?
Thanks.