Hesitant about taking a stray kitten in

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Saturday I rescued a tiny tortie kitten from a restaurant parking lot. I was driving by and saw something moving across the parking lot, about 40 meters away from me. This tortie kitten was along with her mother and two siblings, but the others ran away, while she had bad eyes due to an infection and couldn't move quickly, so I grabbed and took her to the vet.
She's about 6 weeks old and only 500 grams (17.6 oz) of weight.
When I grabbed her she was hissing and biting like a lion, and was screaming like I had never heard before. Because I was on a private property during a lockdown period, and was "stealing a cat", I had to run away as fast as I could.
The kitten has now been treated by the vet, and her eyes are slowly improving. Her belly is as round as a ball due to internal parasites that are being treated as well.
Needless to say I'm in love with her, and trying to convince my wife to keep her.
But my doubts are that I have another healthy cat at home, and I fear to do damages, with parasites, possible viral diseases, acceptance from the resident cat, likely behavioral changes in the older cat, and so on.
What would you do?

I did it before, when I brought Pallina home, I had Lola as the only cat. I was sure I was doing something good for Lola, giving her a company. Fact is that they barely looked at each other for 15 years, and other than that, they were 15 years of tension, intolerance, lack of patience, that in Pallina resulted in a massive overgrooming due to the stress, despite the fact she arrived later.
Giada, on the other hand, seems well-disposed towards other cats, like those that live in my yard, she seems always eager to know more cats or to play with them. This would play in favor.

Furthermore, there's the resistance of my wife that wouldn't like to have another cat in the house.
Anyway, here she is
Micina.jpg

Isn't she absolutely cute? This photo is from yesterday.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, so cute. Once she’s back in good health since she’s a kitten she has a much better chance of being socialized with other cats. I rescued a kitten (5 weeks old) from our yard back in May. I was lucky because he only had ear mites. Since I already had 9 indoor cats I kept him separated until he received all his shots and was clear of the ear mites. Then I slowing introduced him to one of my indoor cats who was hesitant but slowly accepted him. They because buddies. Since then I took in his brother and sister, same situation (they had worms/ear mites) kept them separated until they were cleared and had all their shots. They are all inside now. It takes time but most of my cats get along and I feel good knowing they are safe inside. True, there are some cats that just don’t get along with others (I have a couple) but they learn to keep their distance.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's more important to you, Wife or Cat? That's what you need to answer for yourself before deciding whether to keep her or not.

Though if Giada seems really interested in other Cats then it may help keep her occupied more, and she may not spend so much time crying for food.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Where have you been keeping the kitten while treating her? Can you continue to quarantine her there until her medical issues are resolved and the kitten has finished all of her vaccinations and been tested for FIV/FeLV?

As far as your resident kitty, she seems like a good candidate for a friend! But you’ll never know until you try!

Do proper introductions and work on it once kitten gets an all clear from the vet.

If it doesn’t work out for whatever reason, you can always rehome the kitten.

How old is Giada?

Thank you for saving this sweet little girl! She’s going to be a beauty!

P.S. just give your wife more time to fall in love. They almost always do ;)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
On Saturday I rescued a tiny tortie kitten from a restaurant parking lot. I was driving by and saw something moving across the parking lot, about 40 meters away from me. This tortie kitten was along with her mother and two siblings, but the others ran away, while she had bad eyes due to an infection and couldn't move quickly, so I grabbed and took her to the vet.
She's about 6 weeks old and only 500 grams (17.6 oz) of weight.
When I grabbed her she was hissing and biting like a lion, and was screaming like I had never heard before. Because I was on a private property during a lockdown period, and was "stealing a cat", I had to run away as fast as I could.
The kitten has now been treated by the vet, and her eyes are slowly improving. Her belly is as round as a ball due to internal parasites that are being treated as well.
Needless to say I'm in love with her, and trying to convince my wife to keep her.
But my doubts are that I have another healthy cat at home, and I fear to do damages, with parasites, possible viral diseases, acceptance from the resident cat, likely behavioral changes in the older cat, and so on.
What would you do?

I did it before, when I brought Pallina home, I had Lola as the only cat. I was sure I was doing something good for Lola, giving her a company. Fact is that they barely looked at each other for 15 years, and other than that, they were 15 years of tension, intolerance, lack of patience, that in Pallina resulted in a massive overgrooming due to the stress, despite the fact she arrived later.
Giada, on the other hand, seems well-disposed towards other cats, like those that live in my yard, she seems always eager to know more cats or to play with them. This would play in favor.

Furthermore, there's the resistance of my wife that wouldn't like to have another cat in the house.
Anyway, here she is
View attachment 359181
Isn't she absolutely cute? This photo is from yesterday.
She is adorable. Keep her quarantined for now until you can complete testing and vetting. I think Giada will be instrumental in socializing this cutie.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's more important to you, Wife or Cat? That's what you need to answer for yourself before deciding whether to keep her or not.

Though if Giada seems really interested in other Cats then it may help keep her occupied more, and she may not spend so much time crying for food.
This reminds me of something that happened early in our marriage. We got my SIL's Dalmatian because basically she was a raging drunk and couldn't care for him. The inlaws who had been caring for him were moving from MI to GA and dropped him off on their way. The dog was not house trained and was full of hate. First time I met him, he bit my hand badly. For some reason, once he was "ours" he decided he loved me and only me. He would attack my husband daily.

One day after my husband got attacked and decided to fight back a little, I got so upset with him (the husband, not the dog). I took the dog and said I was leaving the husband because I was tired of him "abusing" the dog. (BTW, this was also before kids so Blaze was my baby). Got about 40 minutes from home and turned back around because I realized I was stupid for doing that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I already had 9 indoor cats I kept him separated
Since then I took in his brother and sister
So you have 12 cats now?
Amazing, you're a hero! How can you deal with so many cats? And how can you cope with all the expenses for them?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't a fair question, they are two different level of importance, in my opinion, and one doesn't exclude the other.

Yes, I thought of it too, Giada would be more involved in playing with another kitty that might forget her obsession for food.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where have you been keeping the kitten while treating her? Can you continue to quarantine her there until her medical issues are resolved and the kitten has finished all of her vaccinations and been tested for FIV/FeLV?
The kitten is still at the vet's for continuing the therapy for eyes and parasites. The vet told me it will take a few more days. I think she's too young for the vaccinations, I think a kitten should be at least 10 weeks old for that. The test would be a PCR.

As far as your resident kitty, she seems like a good candidate for a friend! But you’ll never know until you try!
Yes, Giada, the resident kitty, has a friendly approach to other cats, I'm confident she would accept the new one.

If it doesn’t work out for whatever reason, you can always rehome the kitten.
That's what I told my wife :)

How old is Giada?
She's nearly 15 months old.

Thank you for saving this sweet little girl! She’s going to be a beauty!
I know, she'll become a champion of beauty.

P.S. just give your wife more time to fall in love. They almost always do ;)
I will keep slowly sweet-talking to my wife in order to get her used to the idea. I'll have time as long as the kitten is being kept at the vet's.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't a fair question, they are two different level of importance, in my opinion, and one doesn't exclude the other.
Well, it was more about what would you do if your wife said something like "It's me or the Cat". That sort of thing happens, and as long as you plan on taking care of strays it's a possibility you should consider if you're getting pushback.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So you have 12 cats now?
Amazing, you're a hero! How can you deal with so many cats? And how can you cope with all the expenses for them?
Yes, I have 12 indoors. 🤣 but also brought the feral mother of the 3 kittens I had brought in this Spring. I was able to get her to come in our enclosed porch when there was expected snow. I’ve kept her inside ever since. But she hasn’t ever let me pet her. She basically stays on top of a cabinet and seems to come down at night to eat. She must also play a little too because I leave toys for her and in the mornings they are in a different place. I had been feeding her when she was outside since the beginning of the year. I noticed how she was starting to feel a little more comfortable with me but still wouldn’t let me pet her. She would be waiting to be fed in the mornings/evenings. Would stay around awhile after she ate and started playing with some toys. So I’m hoping in time she will feel comfortable again.
As far as the cost, we’re retired and with the virus thing I don’t spend a lot of money shopping (only for groceries). I stock up when I see cat food sales. Two are my original cats (16 & 11 years old). I didn’t expect to have so many. I lost my oldest cat 3 years ago (she was 15 when she passed away) it was very upsetting but there was a litter of 4 kittens born in our yard, which helped take my mind off of the lost. I was able to get one to become friendly with me (took at least 5 months) She had gotten pregnant before I could bring her in with 3 kittens. When they were 5 weeks old I brought them all inside and they’ve been inside since, HOWEVER, she had gotten pregnant before I brought her inside. Ended up with 6 new kitties. I was able to find homes for 3 of them and kept the others. I was very, very lucky because I was able to get them spayed/neutered by a Cat Mobile unit that came to our town once a month.
They are a non-profit organization and it cost me very little..so much cheaper than a vet. There’s also a vet that’s comes to our local pet store that gives required shots at a very reasonable price.
So I’ve been lucky $ wise.
They do keep me busy, they all have their own personalities and it makes me feel good knowing they don’t have to be out in the cold and starving.
I love them all!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know that your wife is wonderful. I think that the moment she sees the little one, the heart will melt. If not right away, after the baby has time to work her magic. Having one can be a bit harder than two since one needs more human attention. Giada is young enough to , maybe, wish for a playmate. That would help to give her company and occupy some of her need for attention. The older cats tend to try and teach the house rules to the new arrivals. That little Tortie will probably stand up for itself. It is a real beauty! They may be a very good match and help to each other. Bringing in the rescues here for socializing was helped by some of my resident cats. Especially kittens! Some adult cats acted as parents to the younger ones. My eldest female adopted the motherless ones although she had never had babies of her own. Smokey was wonderful about loving and disciplining the kittens. Covid shut down my hope for more adoptions but still, those remaining her are all pretty well integrated. Not long ago I brought in one eight month old that was dumped here. I hope he will get adopted but my previous rescue has taken to him. Wanda Heart and Prints have become playmates. My original 16 have accepted all others. I kept the sick that could not find homes and the unadoptable. I have to keep my Felv cat away from the others but he doesn’t mind being “the bedroom cat.” I do shut the others off sometimes to give him time out with me. I had 84 come through here before being adopted. The constant shift went very well and all the cats got used to it. I do hope you get to keep the little one. I am so glad you grabbed the baby and ran. You saved another life! :clap2::rock:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One day after my husband got attacked and decided to fight back a little, I got so upset with him (the husband, not the dog). I took the dog and said I was leaving the husband because I was tired of him "abusing" the dog. (BTW, this was also before kids so Blaze was my baby). Got about 40 minutes from home and turned back around because I realized I was stupid for doing that.
Last night I gave you a laughing purraise, but on a second thought I believe your story would deserve a more thorough analyses and your reaction was sad, under a certainperspective, out of desperation for how that poor dog was living, and though you were acting in the dog's best interest, you were going to solve it the wrong way.
So, my purraise was given out of an impulse after reading your story, but later I thought I was wrong.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know that your wife is wonderful. I think that the moment she sees the little one, the heart will melt. If not right away, after the baby has time to work her magic.
I should find a way to get the kitten through the front door without me getting yelled at!
Having our cat Giada meowing all the time for food (tonight she woke me up at 4am with a series of loud meows, because she was starving to death!) and her current troubles with poops in the litter box, isn't helping me much.
We don't know if this cute kitten is better or worse with these issues, and I would like to avoid the "try and rehome" step, because I have been through this too often in the last two years, and it's too painful.

As for this cute kitten, there's more about her.
I found and rescued her on last Saturday, exactly after a week of hearing a constant voice in my head that kept telling me to keep an eye on the side of the roads where I was driving, because I was going to find a tiny tortie kitten soon.
This voice suddenly sprang up in my head on the Saturday before, while I was driving around a roundabout (one of those weird road items so typical of European countries :lol: , also called rotaries in the USA, if I'm not wrong). Well, the restaurant where I found her is on the side of a roundabout (a different one), so it sounds like a sign of the fate, everything matches.
And her voice is very similar to Lola's one, and Lola was a tortie too. Another coincidence?
I'm using these elements to try and convince my wife, but, as you have read above, more elements are against me.

I am so glad you grabbed the baby and ran. You saved another life! :clap2::rock:
This is one of those rescues that I'm particularly proud of. I have rescued, and saved from sure death, about 18 cats in the last two years (apart from more classic and not-at-risk rescues, about 20 more), and of a few of them I still feel the adrenaline and the huge joy for seeing them alive and happy in their new families.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I gave you a laughing purraise, but on a second thought I believe your story would deserve a more thorough analyses and your reaction was sad, under a certainperspective, out of desperation for how that poor dog was living, and though you were acting in the dog's best interest, you were going to solve it the wrong way.
So, my purraise was given out of an impulse after reading your story, but later I thought I was wrong.
Ok 🤷‍♀️

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing that come to my mind is: Giada, resident kitty, is obsessed with food, she would eat all day long and meows desperately if her dish has been empty for longer than 15 minutes.
How could the cute kitten eat her meals if the other one is going to steal everything from her all day, all days? :think:
Keeping her separated during meals might be a solution, but this would go on indefintely, and wouldn't be feasable in the long run.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing that come to my mind is: Giada, resident kitty, is obsessed with food, she would eat all day long and meows desperately if her dish has been empty for longer than 15 minutes.
How could the cute kitten eat her meals if the other one is going to steal everything from her all day, all days? :think:
Keeping her separated during meals might be a solution, but this would go on indefintely, and wouldn't be feasable in the long run.
Why wouldn't separating them at mealtime be a long term solution? I have one Cat that eats slower than the others and sometimes doesn't finish it all, so I have to put her in a bathroom with her food. It's not ideal, but it works.