He's taking her back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that everyone's suggestions are great. My husband is no longer upset at Libby, it did take him some time to cool down though. But now after playing I try to get her away from him so she won't display playtime aggression. I have more to write but I'm beat, but I want to say I've read everything though!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad your husband is no longer upset with Libby. My kitten Speck is the most loving creature in the world, but when he plays, he bites hard. I will probably have permanent scars on my hands and arms from where he has bitten me. I do have one more suggetion, if no one has mentioned it already. I would never consider having Speck declawed, but when he goes to the vet, I have his claws trimmed. The clippers are fairly inexpensive at most vet's offices. The vet gave me instructions on trimming (it's important not to cut too close to the quick), but I am not as confident about being a pet nurse as I am a people nurse, so I haven't attempted it. I hope everything works out for you. You seem like a very kind and caring person.

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! Right now Libby is on a time out in the bathroom. My husband played with her (we never use our hands just the toys with the string) for about 20 minutes. He then left the room after he finished playing with her so she could cool down.

She's laying on the floor next to us, and then my husband goes to take a nap. Libby goes to the room, and I hear "NO", Libby "NO". So he calls me, and I tell Libby to come, she comes but goes straight to my leg, I say "NO" turn my legs away and then she gets up on her hind legs to swat and try to bite. So I close the door my husband is in, and I direct her to the bathroom.

Ugh the only time we pet her (and that is three pats at the most, is when we feed her treats). We leave her to herself because she can't really tolerate it any other time. I just let her out because it's been 10 minutes. She started to cry a bit. I know this is a process, and I understand it, but sheesh it's kind of frustrating.

I know that posters think my husband is a meanie, but he really isn't. But he is stubborn. But I usually get my way.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this has been addressed, but how often do you clip your kitten's nails? Kittens need to be done once or twice a week as the nails grow fast.

That might be part of the problem. Also if the kitten is biting the WORSE thing to do is to pull away. It only entices them to go after the "escaping prey". What your DH needs to do is to relax when the kitten bites - don't move his hand and tell the kitten no, and get appropriate toys to play with the kitten.

Hope things work out for him. Is he willing to read some of the tips, etc. on this site to help him understand kittens/cats and their behavior?

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read I should leave her in there for 5 minutes. Why did I think I read 10 minutes somewhere. I'm afraid to clip her nails, but she had them clipped by the vet 2 weeks ago. She only scratches when she does the aggression biting.

He won't read the site, but I tell him what I've read here. So I'll tell him to freeze.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this would work, but have you tried giving Libby a toy to play with herself after you're through playing? Like a large fur mouse? Maybe she could take her left over aggression out on the toy instead of on you?

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've done this, but she'll swat at it for a moment and then leave it alone. It's as if "dead" toys bore her. We have a toy that hangs from our door, and she'll swat at it sometimes but that bores her as well.

But it's clear that she likes us to play with her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Libby, you really should learn how to clip nails. Like I said, kitten nails grow very quickly and I know I had to clip mine 1-2 times a week (especially the front ones).

Talk to your vet tech and have them show you how easy it is to clip nails and then help you clip them yourself. You and your DH will be much happier in the long run. If you establish a grooming routine once a week, then as your kitten grows, she will be better at accepting all grooming needs.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Libby, you really should learn how to clip nails. Like I said, kitten nails grow very quickly and I know I had to clip mine 1-2 times a week (especially the front ones).

Talk to your vet tech and have them show you how easy it is to clip nails and then help you clip them yourself. You and your DH will be much happier in the long run. If you establish a grooming routine once a week, then as your kitten grows, she will be better at accepting all grooming needs.
I learned how to clip PHX's nails by watching a tutorial here on TCS somewhere. Do you know how I can find that link? It was VERY useful.