He's About to Find a New Home if He Won't Stop!!!

pandasorority

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a two year old male, his name is Bobo, that I've raised from birth, and he's always been trying, but these past couple of months he has crossed the line from being a troublemaker to being a nuisance, and I can tell my family is at the point where they want him GONE. And I, the cat lover and one responsible for him, am also approaching that point. There's beginning to be more bad times than good with him and the love he brings me is hardly enough to cover up for his chaos anymore.

So to explain the situation:
He lived the first year of his life in a four cat home. We found his mother in a parking lot and, never having had a female cat before, I didn't know that they could get pregnant at five months of age. At nine months she gave birth to five kittens, so just like that I went from two cats to seven. We found homes for three and kept the other two. About a year later one of the two kittens went missing, a couple months later the big male we had first passed away, and this June the mother went missing. Within a year we went from four to one cat, our neighborhood is clearly not safe for outdoor cats, but the dog has a bladder problem where he's almost constantly leaking so the door stayed open during all daylight hours and sometimes even in the evening. Within a month of his mother going missing Bobo noticeably started acting up. He started screaming more, for hours at the top of his lungs until he'd go hoarse, so my family's response to this is to just let him live outside. He'd come in to eat and sometimes sleep and then he'd be off again.

Well, September 2014 he got in an accident. Nobody knows what happened, it could have been a car or a bike or someone kicking him, but he drastically lost weight within a week and his stomach was bulging. I took him to the vet the next day, they rushed him into surgery the day after, and he stayed hospitalized for a week. He had two hernias from whatever had happened that caused so much infection that he had to lose a part of his abdominal wall that couldn't be saved. They nearly euthanized him on the table and every day told me not to keep my hopes up because he probably wouldn't make it. Well, he did, and he went right back to his rascally ways. Then this October he went missing for nearly three weeks. When he reappeared he was limping so badly that I rushed him to the vet as soon as I could the next day. They think that something fell on him and he was stuck, and the reason he was limping is because he now has a spinal subluxation that's causing a signal blockage from his brain to leg as well as having several collapsed discs. His previous surgery from the year before cost us $2,500 so we didn't have the money to take him to the neurologist they suggested to us to help him. I took him home, set up a GoFundMe page to try to raise the money, and while we waited he managed to gain all of the use back in his leg and flexibility in his spine. The only sign he's been hurt is that he has a slight limp in that leg. We never managed to raise any money to take him to the vet so we've just let it be.

My cat is the reason they say cats have nine lives. He's clearly had a lot of stress in his life but he's such a trooper that it's never looked like any of the physical stress has bothered him.

Obviously, we decided to make him a strictly indoor cat. This is where all hell breaks loose. The screaming has gotten worse, he pees EVERYWHERE (in beds [plural], my school bag, piles of laundry, the fireplace, the middle of the living room as he stares into our eyes), if you open the door for a second he darts outside so quickly that if I tried to shut the door before he got out he'd be crushed in the process. Our house smells like a litter box, we can't sleep, and we can't open the door to even let the leaky dog out or leave the house. He's not going elsewhere instead of the litterbox, he's going everywhere as well as the litterbox. I still clean his boxes every other day. Boxes. Three. They're in my mom's bedroom, in the hallway atrached to all of my brothers' rooms, and the downstairs hallway. Two are in low traffic areas away from loud noises. And it's usually either in someone's bed or as we're watching him that he pees.

I've paid $30 to speak to a cat behaviorist, I paid $60 to get him more toys and those pheromone collars and plugins that are supposed to help him calm down, and if anything he's gotten worse. I am now broke and fed up.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This is a really complicated situation and I feel for both you and Bobo. It's really hard to know if his medical issues are partially responsible for what's going on but I'm wondering how much control he has over his bodily functions.

Another issue is that he might miss feline companionship since this behavior initially began when he became an only cat. I'm not sure getting another cat is the answer right now though you might consider it later.

Yet another issue is that he is used to being outside. You are absolutely right that he needs to be an indoor cat so letting him out is not a solution.

Still another issue is that everyone is so frustrated with him, for obvious reasons. Unfortunately since cats are very sensitive to our moods, that might be having a negative impact on him as well.

I can completely understand not having a lot of money for vet bills after all you've done in the past. Still, it might be worth talking to your vet about lingering problems from his injuries. If he gets a clean bill of health, you might ask about Prozac or an anti-anxiety medication. Some forum members with cats with box problems have had great success going that route.

I know you said you tried the calming aids but there are several different ones you can use. If you go with Felliway diffusers you probably need several in a house - these don't really cover a big area. I'm not familiar with all the calming aids so hopefully someone who knows about these various products will chime in about pros and cons for each.

When cleaning up after Bobo, use enzymatic cleaners that break down urine molecules. Otherwise he will still be able to smell it and think it's okay to go there.

Good luck with this. I know how awful it is to have a smelly house so can really sympathize with everyone's frustration. I once had 2 males with territorial issues who sprayed everwhere. Ugh.

Please let us know how things go. It would be a shame to rehome your boy as you obviously care about him very much.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I missed it, I apologize, but has he been neutered?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If I missed it, I apologize, but has he been neutered?
This was my first thought as well. I didn't see that addressed in your post. If he has not been neutered, he needs to be ASAP as this will help with his behavioral issues

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Oops. I didn't even consider the fact Bobo might not be neutered. Absolutely, that's the first place to start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandasorority

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ginny,
Yes, he is neutered. We had him neutered at around six months old because he was screaming at all hours. That fixed the screaming dramatically, but like I mentioned in the original post it all started up again when his mom disappeared.

Margd,
I've mentioned a couple of times that I want to get him a companion, but the one evening we were seriously considering it he crawled right off my brother's lap to pee on the floor right beside him, and my mom declared that there will be no new pets when she has to live in this much pee. I plan on moving out after getting my Associate degree (I'm 21 and attending a community college) but until then I can't afford it, so he's going to have to wait for a buddy.
As for the diffusers, most of them are $50 and I can't really afford more. I would really like to know what other users have to say on them though so I can get the best one.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
One of our advisors knows a lot about the calming aids. I'll put out a call for her. It might be a few hours before she answers because she's in the UK so it's very early morning right now.

Columbine Columbine . Help!

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ginny,
Yes, he is neutered. We had him neutered at around six months old because he was screaming at all hours. That fixed the screaming dramatically, but like I mentioned in the original post it all started up again when his mom disappeared.

Margd,
I've mentioned a couple of times that I want to get him a companion, but the one evening we were seriously considering it he crawled right off my brother's lap to pee on the floor right beside him, and my mom declared that there will be no new pets when she has to live in this much pee. I plan on moving out after getting my Associate degree (I'm 21 and attending a community college) but until then I can't afford it, so he's going to have to wait for a buddy.
As for the diffusers, most of them are $50 and I can't really afford more. I would really like to know what other users have to say on them though so I can get the best one.
A lot of people swear by Feliway diffusers. I had no success with them. Yeah, they are pricey. They also make calming treats and collars. You can also try Bach's Rescue Remedy which are drops that go in their water or food. Amazon sells these for about $10.

A companion is usually a good choice but if that's something your family is dead set against, obviously you need to keep looking. If this were my cat, I'd try to wear him out with play. A wand to like Da Bird is a good way for him to burn up a lot of that excess energy. You can find inexpensive wand toys at Wal Mart and other stores.

pandasorority

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him a bird toy and within days he's destroyed it. I do think his energy is a huge contributor to the problem, which is a big reason why I want a companion for him to play with. I could play until he's tired and then thirty minutes later he want to play again. Lather, rinse, repeat, this cycle could go on all day. Thing is, since his back injury I haven't been able to play too rough with him, which is his favorite way to play. I'm scared he doesn't know his own limit and his spinal problem will get worse.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi pandasorority pandasorority . It sounds like you're dealing with multiple issues here.

First of all, I think a vet check HAS to be a priority. It sounds to me as though his back injury may have caused some continence issues. With the amount Boo's peeing, I'd also want to be sure that his kidneys are working as they should be. I understand that money is an issue (and vets are, sadly, never cheap), but it really is essential to know that everything is working properly. [article="32915"][/article]
It can be so, so hard getting an indoor/outdoor cat used to staying inside. One option would be to cat proof your garden. That way, both Boo and your dog could be free to wander in and out without any risk of them getting into trouble. I know it's money again, but it could well be worth it to achieve some peace (and cleanliness) into your house.

Another option would be to train Boo to go for walks on a harness and leash. That way he could go out and explore in safety. This won't address all the issues as you still wouldn't be able to leave the door open for the dog, but it could go a long way to helping Boo relax and adjust to life inside.[article="22430"][/article]

Calming products can make a big difference to a cat's behaviour, but you need to address any physical issues at the same time. Neglect this, and no calming product will give the results you want.

There are (broadly speaking) three main types of calming products on the market: pheromone based (such as Feliway), flower essence based (such as Bach Flower Remedies and Spirit Essences) and supplement based (such as Composure and Zylkene).

Feliway type products work on most (but not all) cats, but it's essential that you have enough diffusers to 'treat' the whole house. From memory, the maximum area one diffuser can cover is 90 square feet. The diffusers aren't cheap, but if you scour the net you can sometimes find good deals - a little while ago I found Feliway for half price on Groupon UK.

Flower essences can be very effective - I've had great results using my own blends of Bach Flower Remedies on my animals. Again, nothing is guaranteed, and it really is crucial to pick the right blend - the wrong blend won't hurt, but it won't help either. For this reason, I tend to suggest Spirit Essences . They're all pre blended for specific issues, which makes them much easier to use.

A lot of people here swear by Composure. It really can make a huge difference. Given how wound up Boo us at the moment, I think I'd suggest trying this first. It comes either as treats or as a liquid. Both are effective - it really comes down to whether Boo likes the treats or not ;)

Hang in there. I'm sure there'll be a way through this. It'll just take a little time and patience.
[article="32341"][/article]
[article="32493"][/article][article="32366"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

Last edited:

pandasorority

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much @Columbine!

Things are a little too tight with Christmas coming up, so in January I'll try making an appointment (with the new semester I'll have some financial aid money). He has healed for the most part but I don't know how much pain he might be in.
When I took him to the vet in October (when he returned) they took blood tests and x-rays. The blood tests because he was so emaciated they were worried his organs might be damaged, but the tests showed that they were fine, and there was nothing abnormal on the x-rays. I don't know if they could find something else by giving his abdomen a good feel. His flow is so strong that you can hear it from across the room and he's leaving decent sized clumps in the box.

I'll try some calming products until then. As a hippie, natural products for my cat make me very happy

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear about "Composure," as I'm having some anxiety issues with my cat as well.

I won't repeat a lot of the great suggestions here, but I will second the suggestion that you try Prozac. I work with a rescue group, and our leader swears by it, as she's used it for both her own cat and her fosters. Even my vet has used it on his cat, and he's the single best vet I have EVER worked with. Also, my best friend's brother had a cat who was pooping on his bed and Prozac stopped the issue cold.

I worked as a medical editor for a number of years, and read tons of studies on antidepressants (for humans). While I agree that they can sometimes be dispensed too frequently, what's been discovered recently is that they can actually have a curative effect on the brain, especially in young people. If a young person with depression goes untreated for too long, the illness will actually cause permanent damage, meaning that as they get older, the depressions will become more frequent, more severe and require less stimulus to set them off. Early treatment, with both meds and therapy, can save them a world a hurt down the line.

But I digress. What i'm endorsing here is the idea that Bobo might do great on a low dose of Prozac for a month or two. He's been through just so many changes and traumas in a short amount of time, it would make sense that he could use some seratonin support to right the ship, so to speak.

You can even make it easy on him by getting the kind of Prozac that's a salve that's put on the ear, so that you wouldn't have to pill him and stress him even more. Ideally, you'd want to work with a behaviorist at the same time as giving him the meds, but if you can't afford that, a trial period with Prozac would be a very cost effective thing to try, and it could literally change your whole world in a very short amount of time.

Prozac is also a very old medication with a great safety profile, even in cats. It's use in felines began in the 1990s, so it's been in use now for nearly 25 years with great success.

We can all use a little help now and then. While these Bach Flower remedies and Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essence elixirs can be a great support, it sounds to me like you need some heavy artillery. Not all western medicine is bad, particularly Prozac.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Mary Ann

pandasorority

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm glad to hear about "Composure," as I'm having some anxiety issues with my cat as well.

I won't repeat a lot of the great suggestions here, but I will second the suggestion that you try Prozac. I work with a rescue group, and our leader swears by it, as she's used it for both her own cat and her fosters. Even my vet has used it on his cat, and he's the single best vet I have EVER worked with. Also, my best friend's brother had a cat who was pooping on his bed and Prozac stopped the issue cold.

I worked as a medical editor for a number of years, and read tons of studies on antidepressants (for humans). While I agree that they can sometimes be dispensed too frequently, what's been discovered recently is that they can actually have a curative effect on the brain, especially in young people. If a young person with depression goes untreated for too long, the illness will actually cause permanent damage, meaning that as they get older, the depressions will become more frequent, more severe and require less stimulus to set them off. Early treatment, with both meds and therapy, can save them a world a hurt down the line.

But I digress. What i'm endorsing here is the idea that Bobo might do great on a low dose of Prozac for a month or two. He's been through just so many changes and traumas in a short amount of time, it would make sense that he could use some seratonin support to right the ship, so to speak.

You can even make it easy on him by getting the kind of Prozac that's a salve that's put on the ear, so that you wouldn't have to pill him and stress him even more. Ideally, you'd want to work with a behaviorist at the same time as giving him the meds, but if you can't afford that, a trial period with Prozac would be a very cost effective thing to try, and it could literally change your whole world in a very short amount of time.

Prozac is also a very old medication with a great safety profile, even in cats. It's use in felines began in the 1990s, so it's been in use now for nearly 25 years with great success.

We can all use a little help now and then. While these Bach Flower remedies and Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essence elixirs can be a great support, it sounds to me like you need some heavy artillery. Not all western medicine is bad, particularly Prozac.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Mary Ann
I admit, I don't know much about Prozac for cats. The one time I've heard about it before was on an episode of My Cat From Hell. Most of the members of my family, both immediate and extended, have been or are on mood stabilizers, so it wouldn't be too crazy of an idea to think that the cat might need it too. Me, my mom, and my older brother have all been on Prozac in particular. With my previous experience of giving him medicine, an ear salve would probably be a good idea if I do go that route. Bobo is NOT a good pill taker and liquid medicines aren't that much better. I know the struggle to administer causes him stress. I'll ask the vet about it the next time I make him an appointment!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whilst Prozac and other mood/anxiety medications have their place, to me they should be a last resort. Composure can work wonders for many cats, and is proven to work...to the extent that vets both sell and recommend it. I really, really would want to try that before moving on to medications that can gave distressing side effects.

I'm not anti medication at all - just cautious (knowing first hand the side effects that can occur). By all means speak to your vet, but to me it's crazy to go for heavier medication without exploring other alternatives first.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

They also will compound Prozac into a liquid that can be flavored. Chicken, liver, fish, cheese, you name it! (Trust me, don't try the unflavored liquid. That resulted in Gizmo projectile vomiting all over me and a wall. ) A year's worth of Prozac saved him though, reduced his rampant peeing and crying and other related anxiety issues to the point where I only have to make sure I don't leave towels on the floor. 

pandasorority

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try Composure and/or Bach Flower Remedies (are they safe to mix?) until I have the money to take him to vet (which probably won't be until mid/late January) for a full check up, and if he seems like he needs it after trying the other methods I'll ask about Prozac for Bobo.

I'd like to make him a catio, but I don't personally have those skills. His darting outside has gotten to be a real issue. Just today, he's gotten outside four or five times and it's only 7 pm, so I expect him to escape at least once more. Should I shut him in the downstairs bathroom any time we have to open the door?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it's fine to mix Composure and Bach's remedies. FYI, Composure is based on casein (the protein found in milk). There are no issues with contraindications with other types of non prescription calming products.