Herpes Virus, Allergy, Sniffing.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know how to make my cat feel better:(
He was diagnosed with herpes virus when he was small and since then I've been treating him with lysine powder, he does have flare ups once in a while that make him sneeze a lot.
His vet also thinks he has a mild allergy to dust and other environmental things but he said he doesn't want to give him medicine right now as they are quite strong. He gave him some pills for immunity system that seem to help.
Now the problem is that my cat smells everything all the time and now he is having another sneezing flare up and his nose is a bit congested.
I dont know what to do to help him, I dont know how to make him stop from going around the carpet or house and just sniff and take all that dust in.
Did anyone try anything that can help the sneezing problem?
Any ideas would be appreciated because I just don't know what to do anymore.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with mild asthma, and dust will make him hack, cough and wheeze.

I do not use clay cat litter, i dont care how dust free it seems, it always causes him problems. I use a grass litter, Abound i get from Kroger, or pioneer pet brand from chewy. I also use Litter maid walnut litter that i get from Walmart. Or Dr. Elseys respiratory relief silica gel crystal litter. Using these litters has made a big difference in his health. they are all dust free, and fragrance free.

Dust and vacuum often. I use only unscented laundry and household cleaning products. I also did away with all candles, wall plugins, room spray, that kind of thing, any thing with fumes, or fragrance. I use a lot of Clorox kitchen clean up these days, does not have fumes or bother my kitten.

hopefully some of this can help. Best of luck, and let us know how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with mild asthma, and dust will make him hack, cough and wheeze.

I do not use clay cat litter, i dont care how dust free it seems, it always causes him problems. I use a grass litter, Abound i get from Kroger, or pioneer pet brand from chewy. I also use Litter maid walnut litter that i get from Walmart. Or Dr. Elseys respiratory relief silica gel crystal litter. Using these litters has made a big difference in his health. they are all dust free, and fragrance free.

Dust and vacuum often. I use only unscented laundry and household cleaning products. I also did away with all candles, wall plugins, room spray, that kind of thing, any thing with fumes, or fragrance. I use a lot of Clorox kitchen clean up these days, does not have fumes or bother my kitten.

hopefully some of this can help. Best of luck, and let us know how he is doing.
Hi, thank you for your help. I do vacuum almost every day, I even put a huge bed cover on the floor in the living room and I wash it every other day so he won't get to the carpet, at least there. I use All allergy laundry products for everyone in the house and on his blankets and stuff I dont use anything besides that.
He uses paper palettes litter, he eats the other ones and I use a vacuum to blow dust from it before I put it in the tray.
I try to wash his face every morning and brush him every other day.
It's just, allergies still get him so I thought that there might be a natural remedy for it. I'm not sure what I'm even looking for.