Herpes Vaccine After Diagnose?

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a cat already has herpes, would a vaccine help lessen the severity of the symptoms?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wasn't able to find any information that suggested that it might. You'd have to ask a vet, possibly contact one of the top teaching hospitals about it.

Sorry I couldn't give you anything solid!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently, it is apart of the regular yearly vaccines anyway. My cats just have bad luck.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. In fact if they get the FVRCP combo vaccine, it can cause a flare up of feline herpes. Many things can be done to help decrease the outbreaks such as changing to a grain-free diet, adding Lysine to the diet daily, and decreasing stress in the home. My herpes girl hasn't gotten any vaccines since she was diagnosed 10 years ago.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A little off to the side of your question. Many of us give 250 mg lysine twice a day to keep symptoms at bay. It helps their immune system. I use now lysine powder and mix with food. There are many treats with lysine. I used to use spry treats from Amazon.

cudd1ebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. In fact if they get the FVRCP combo vaccine, it can cause a flare up of feline herpes. Many things can be done to help decrease the outbreaks such as changing to a grain-free diet, adding Lysine to the diet daily, and decreasing stress in the home. My herpes girl hasn't gotten any vaccines since she was diagnosed 10 years ago.
Not even a rabies vaccine?