Herpes symptoms redevelop

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much about the word about L-lysine. The little I just read about L-lysine can see why it's not something I want to give to a cat who's been just treated for hepatic liposis!!! Gosh thanks for telling me.

andread

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Inga has a latent herpes infection. She is having a flare right now, but the last one before this was 2007. I like--and she likes--Pet Naturals L-Lysine chews. They contain 250 mg Lysine per chew; I give her up to four per day while she is symptomatic.

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Andrea D,

Thank you. Can you tell me what kind of symptoms Inga is having now? Eye and/or nasal congestion/respiratory?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Petunia42  Hopefully your vet will be able to give you advice, as on the whole I have found the L Lysine works well for Mouse, and many others on site also have a postitive experience with it.  It's also low cost and if it reduces the number of flare ups and vet visits it is even more welcome.  Your vet should  know how your cat's liver is now and whether the use of L Lysine continuously or at key points like starts of flare ups or stressful periods would be OK.  Most medications have to be filtered by the liver and cause some stress and I have no idea if L Lysine is any worse than others for this.

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks MServant,

He didn't think it would hurt although cautioned me to stick with 1/2 dose 250mg/day rather than 2x a day while his liver is still recovering. Can't tell you how helpful this site has been in navigating my way through this. I didn't even KNOW about herpes until my cats developed it! Have had many cats over the years too with never a runny eye or sneeze. Now I know exactly what to do as soon as I hear a sneeze. Get to the vet! And now know just what to ask for now in way of treatment. I think my vet is always trying to save owners money which is very caring in it's own way. But I know my options for next time, and rather than my cats go for 3-4 days no food, just have him put in the feeding tube as soon as feasible.

Thanks once again- getting a handle on this stuff :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks MServant,

He didn't think it would hurt although cautioned me to stick with 1/2 dose 250mg/day rather than 2x a day while his liver is still recovering. Can't tell you how helpful this site has been in navigating my way through this. I didn't even KNOW about herpes until my cats developed it! Have had many cats over the years too with never a runny eye or sneeze. Now I know exactly what to do as soon as I hear a sneeze. Get to the vet! And now know just what to ask for now in way of treatment. I think my vet is always trying to save owners money which is very caring in it's own way. But I know my options for next time, and rather than my cats go for 3-4 days no food, just have him put in the feeding tube as soon as feasible.

Thanks once again- getting a handle on this stuff :)
I feel guilty that I didn't know about FHV either until Mouse developed it!  Then I came here just like you have and got a pile of support and information from more experienced members.   Never looked back.  Your vet sounds alright, running with the L Lysine as there are many more expensive treatments offered, but not necessarily working better.   This is a great place for checking things out and sharing.  Hope Black Cat does well now, and things settle down for him.   Wish you well with keeping him eating well.

andread

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sure thing! Inga has had only eye symptoms: red rimmed eye, with some clear/white/yellow discharge. her herpes has only ever affected her left eye, both in this flare and her last. she might be a littel less energetic than usual, but it is hard to say. for backstory, in case it is helpful, Inga got this herpes flare after succumbing to a bad URI, which was triggered by the introduction of a new kitten to our household. so she got, and for through, the respiratory infection but because of the stress to her immune system, her herpes flared up. we have been treating it with drops and ointment prescribed by the vet as the lysine i mentioned. she has been on that treatment plan since 12/16. she is definitely better, as of now, her eye is just a touch pink with a little blackish grit in the corner. hope this infor helps! yoi can get your kitty through this!