HELPP! mother cat not producing much milk

omikhron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time taking care of a pet that gave birth yesterday march 06,2022
what to do if 2day old kitten is a little bit underweight compared to other siblings.
no.1 is 5.3oz
no.2 is 4.3oz
no.3 is 4.7oz
no.4 is 3.8oz
i did notice that it was getting pushed more by its siblings during feeding time and is smaller than the rest but is still able to eat well. Awhile ago we started feeding it manually thru a bottle bc we realized that mama isn't producing that much milk. Should I take them to foster care?? What to do? Any advice?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let the smallest one eat alone when biggies are sleeping! Good you are prepared to handfeed too. Measure her weight every 12 hours. Healhy biggiies is every 24 hours enough

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are all good-sized kittens for born yesterday, and already weigh more than one-week old kittens need to weigh, except for the smallest, who is almost at a weekold weight too.

You’ve nothing to worry about unless one fails to gain or loses weight. Do weigh in grams though because it’s easier to see gains and losses in grams.

Mom’s milk will come in more and more each day. It’s just colostrum the first day or so. Give mom kitten formula to drink daily for the extra calcium she needs for nursing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

omikhron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a few days ago, I posted about one of my kittens being smaller than its siblings... now they're very much overweight
(they are 8 days old btw)
1. 249.5g / 8.8oz
2. 218.3g / 7.7oz
3. 218.3g / 7.7oz
4. 195.6g / 6.9oz

since then number 1 has always been the heaviest and number4 the lightest. any suggestions?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
why are you feeding them if they are only 8 days old? (I didn’t see your first post) Where is their mother?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you see the responses to your post in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum?

8 day old kittens are rapidly growing, each at their own pace. Some will grow faster than others. There's nothing to worry about :) Such young kittens can't be overweight at all. Weight isn't even an issue in cats until they are about a year old or so. Make sure Mom cat is getting plenty of food and water and is nursing the kittens.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are NOT overweight. They are thriving. It is NOT unusual for a week old kitten to weigh what a 2-week old weighs. It’s a good thing, and it means they are eating well and thriving. It is much preferred that they be bigger than smaller. You are needlessly concerned. Let them eat and grow and stop worrying.

I took in a pregnant stray a few years ago, and ALL 4 of her kittens were big and healthy and always surpassed the minimums. It was a good thing, and all turned out great. I still have them all 7 years later and they are BIG cats - 15 to 20 pounds.

Only worry if they are not gaining or losing. There’s no problem here and no such thing as overweight one-week-old kittens. We have plenty of “worry” threads where one weeks olds are not growing as they should.

Relax and weigh once a week. You’re in the lucky zone!

O omikhron

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

omikhron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are NOT overweight. They are thriving. It is NOT unusual for a week old kitten to weigh what a 2-week old weighs. It’s a good thing, and it means they are eating well and thriving. It is much preferred that they be bigger than smaller. You are needlessly concerned. Let them eat and grow and stop worrying.

I took in a pregnant stray a few years ago, and ALL 4 of her kittens were big and healthy and always surpassed the minimums. It was a good thing, and all turned out great. I still have them all 7 years later and they are BIG cats - 15 to 20 pounds.

Only worry if they are not gaining or losing. There’s no problem here and no such thing as overweight one-week-old kittens. We have plenty of “worry” threads where one weeks olds are not growing as they should.

Relax and weigh once a week. You’re in the lucky zone! Also, stick to your original thread only about this cat and her litter.

O omikhron
OK! Thank You!😊