Helping Ng Aterra The Cat Feel More Confident In Her Now Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I have good news to report. Terra ventured all the way down to the main floor of the house! As soon as I came out of the bathroom and saw her, however, she scurried up to the midway point of the staircase.

My guess is that she felt a bit insecure outside of her territory. I am going to try introducing Rigg’s sent to her on a daily basis, in hopes of acclimating her to Mr. Doggy a bit. Will keep you posted.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra came into contact with Riggs downstairs for the first time since move in day, and it went etter than I had hoped. She still hisses at him, but he is the log dog, so he takes it in stride. He didn’t seem at all concerned that Terra was in his territory, and Terra contented herself with hissing only a couple of times from the dining room table. Upstairs, she would continuously hiss at him untill he left the room. On that note, should I let Riggs into Terra’s room anytime soon, or should I give.her some more time? I can’t help but think that Terra sees Riggs as an intruder violating her territory, which isn’t helped by the fact that Riggs liked to poke his nose in her food, water, and litter box.

What do you guys think?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, more time, but things really are going much better now! We can now be certain that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train!

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra now routinely goes downstairs if I let her out of her room. She still avoids Riggs if she can, which brings me to my next question: is there anything I can do to help Terra feel comfortable around Riggs? I have recently resumed getting Riggs’s scent on my hand by giving him a vigorous petting (Riggs has a powerful ofer about him, worthy of a bulldog), then going to Terra, and letting her smell my hand. Is there anything else I should be doing? My roommate likes to leave the patio door open during the day, so Ai’m a bit trepidatious about giving her free reign of the house.

Riggs is a good dog, with the temperment of a log. “Riggs don’t care” has taken on the quality of a meme around here, and I just want kitty to feel comfortable around doggy. I just need to get baby Terra to realize that Riggs don’t care. What do you guys think I can do to help Cat come to terms with Dog?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that you are doing just right. She's a timid, shy gal, and considering how long it took her to be comfortable in the home itself, it will take even longer to be fully comfortable with Riggs...but you are getting there! Keep doing what you are doing for now. I can see those first baby steps happening.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick question for anyone who might know; Terra will often tense up if Riggs is nearby, even if she can’t see him. Is there anything I can or should do to ease her discomfort, like petting her or speaking soothingly to her? Riggs is a super chill dog, and I would feel 100% fine with leaving them alone while together, if it weren’t for the fact that Terra is still openly hostile toward him.

I’m hoping that Terra will one day just up and realize that Riggs is a good dog, like how she one day decided it was OK to go downstairs.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all it is, is the tensing...no real puffing up, hissing, or growling, I'd just leave her alone to figure it out. Sooner or later (and with her, maybe later), she will understand that Riggs is no threat, and may even be an ally!

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra has stopped going downstairs, likely because I haven’t given her much opportunity to, recently. My roommate likes to leave the patio door open in the summer, and I’m afraid Terra will run out. I’ve recently reached a compromise with him regarding that, but I still need to find a way to gently coax her to come out of my room.

Are any of you familiar with Feliway products? Their adschave been in heavy rotation on Facebook, and I’m wondering if making the house smell more inviting migh convince Terra to explore her new home a bit more.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra has stopped going downstairs, likely because I haven’t given her much opportunity to, recently. My roommate likes to leave the patio door open in the summer, and I’m afraid Terra will run out. I’ve recently reached a compromise with him regarding that, but I still need to find a way to gently coax her to come out of my room.

Are any of you familiar with Feliway products? Their adschave been in heavy rotation on Facebook, and I’m wondering if making the house smell more inviting migh convince Terra to explore her new home a bit more.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ufh, sorry about the constant typos. My iPhony is a POS, and I’m nearly legally blind.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NOT a problem! I have a phone very much like that.

We have a lot of members who have tried the Feliway products. The upshot seems to be that they either work very well on a cat, or not at all, and most people (if I am remembering correctly) are pleased with the results. I've never had to use them. Hekitty is about as nervous as the typical garden gnome. And about as active as the same. And just as round in the midsection...but she will NOT wear that red hat!

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra reached something of a milestone today. She came closer to Riggs than she’s ever been comfortable with in the past, and didn’t hiss! That said, when Dog lumbered off the couch to greet Cat, Terra scurried up the stairs, but she didn’t hiss! With just a little coaxing from me, she even got close enough to look at him.

This was a huge step for my timid little kitty, and I’m hoping she got just a bit more comfortable with Riggs, today.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I doubt know if this helps but could you have both cat and dog treats when they are on close proximity? I know for cat to cat intro I had to make them feel comfy eating in front too each other. Rewards to both of them for being close to each other and keeping cool could send them both positive signal about each other

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the typos. I'm also on a phone

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and see if you can find the Cat vs Dog series with Jackson Galaxy somewhere. The show is about solving behavioral issues between cats and dogs. Might give a few dos and don'ts

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! Terra’s a picky kitty, and I have yet to find her jackpot treat. Any ideas for cat approved flavors?

Also, Riggs wandered into Terra’s room earlier today, and Terra hopped off the bed to meet him. She made a very long, drawn out, and mournful sound, and Riggs took the hint and lumbered off. Terra will often follow me downstairs and stay there and explore until I head back up. My baby cat has come a long way since move-in day. Thank you all for being part of the journey.