Helping fur to be more silky for less matting?

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two Ragdoll kitties (10 months). They are both healthy and get mostly a homemade raw diet which I supplement with vitamins and supplements such as virgin wild salmon oil.

One naturally has very silky fur which has become even more silky with the raw diet. The other one naturally has fur like a cotton ball and it has not really become silkier because I imagine the texture was so different to start with.

While he is a very beautiful cat, his cottony rather than silky fur is prone to matting. I brush him every day but am wondering if there was something I could do to make his fur a bit silkier, such as spraying something natural on his fur for better conditioning before I brush him?

Has anyone used anything for this? I have thought about some coconut oil concoction, but I have a feeling that he would just look greasy and that is not the look I am interested in either, especially because he lays on my bed occasionally.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the undercoat matting? It might help to get a comb designed to remove the undercoat on long haired cats. You might also see if there is some kind of waterless shampoo for long haired cats that might have a little conditioner or detangler in it.

This is what I use. It's got a bit of a strong scent, but works ok on my cat (not long haired). It is advertised as a detangler.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A5Y4A/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yes, it is more of the undercoat. :)

I do have a comb as well as a furminator (if that is it's name), though I tend to just use a wire brush. I do bathe them about every 4-6 weeks and their fur is LOVELY right afterwards. But about 1.5 weeks later, it loses its sheen.

I did try coconut oil. Maybe I used a bit much but his fur now looks greasy and dirty. Sigh. ;)

Will check out the waterless shampoo.