Helping elderly cat with new kitten

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

We got a new kitten a few days ago and our senior cat Tara isnt taking it too well. She has gone off her food (but will eat kitten food) and is a bit sulky. We all still make a fuss of her as we usually do - more so in fact. The new kitten, Pepper, more or less keeps her distance from Tara. Tara is better with Pepper now than what she was at first, there was lots of hissing and growling from Tara, now only the occasional hissing when their paths cross which isnt very often.

Tara rules the roost and is the boss of everyone and because she is elderly, we worry about her. We got Pepper as one of our cats died suddenly a while ago and Peanut, our other cat missed her terribly as they were pals and was getting sad and lonely. Pepper seems to have cheered Peanut up somewhat but Tara is the problem. Any tips on day-to-day living and interaction? I dont want Tara to become depressed and give up. I am thinking of Feliway but I cant say its ever helped in the past.

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had some initial conflict in my home too when I brought home a new kitten. It took about two weeks for things to return to normal. My tabby took to the kitten after a few days but my male hissed and fussed in his direction anytime the kitten came near him. I did not use a pheromone disperser for this conflict, but I have had success with them in the past for other problems. What I think helped is letting the big kitties have time away from the kitten and then introducing the kitten via play and treats. You also have to keep interacting with Tara as though the kitten isn't there and that can be done when the kitten is in another room. As both my boys are very food driven the treats were really the bonding point (now they eat on the same level, but my older male lets the kitten eat first).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I do interact with Tara all the time and make a fuss of her and she does have time away from Pepper. Pepper also sleeps upstairs in a room with me while Tara sleeps downstairs as she always has done. Tara has improved with Pepper but I do worry about the eating part as I know how dangerous it can be. I will try find a way with treats and see if they can bond over treats, thank you.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

We followed the ASPCA's plan for doing an introduction and it totally worked.  It has a regimented plan that requires that they start out separated, and then very slowly over the course of 1-2 weeks, moving the bar higher a little bit at a time, for your resident cat.  It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't, and it can go a long way for lifetime friendship.  We did this for our 12 year old with a new kitten.  And even then, i can take a year soetimes for real friendship to happen.

And think about it this way, an improper introduction can lead to a lifetime of loathing. You can't force them to be friends, but you can coax them into it.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

Good luck!

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We actually followed the advise of the lady we adopted her from who works for the Cats Protection and fosters 80 cats a year so thought she would know best, maybe not. I do separate the kitten at night from the rest of the house, she sleeps with me.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LadyV :-)

Sometimes people (possibly like the woman who got you the kitten) who have a multi-cat home are less attuned to the needs of a single cat who is now faced with an "intruder" for the first time in his life.  Especially given the age of your cat, vs the age of the kitten, not only is the kitten viewed as an intruder, but the kitten's energy level is likely to further alienate your older cat. No disrespect to the woman intended, but if her plan was really good then it would be working and it seems like you're here because it isn't.

Every cat is different with respect to the following, but any cat who is poorly introduced to a new cat runs the risk of never becoming friends with the new cat and once that point is reached there may not be any going back no matter what you try.

There is I believe broad agreement in the community that an introduction started by separation is a good way to go.  Your cat is so stressed right now that he isn't eating well, and this can lead to serious medical conditions including a wasting illness of the liver called hepatic lipidosis that can occur spontaneously after about 2+ days of non-eating.

I urge you to consider separating them, giving your cat a cool down period, and then starting a slow introduction like the one outlined in the ASPCA doc I linked you to.

Best

Stephen

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again. We were going to separate them and intro the kitten slowly but this lady was so adamant, that we [wrongly] followed her advise. In Tara's defense, she doesnt like other cats anyway as she came from an only cat household (she was my grans cat who passed away last year and we took her in and we had 2 cats already) but she did settle in really quickly (about 2 days) and instantly became boss and very happy. She is eating, just not as much as she usually does, she is also playing, she is just a bit miserable but I think a re-intro may be in order. Thanks again xx

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My pleasure.  I'm curious what the woman told you by way of advice?  Good luck and stay in touch! 

One of them most important things i found in the ASPCA doc (and full disclosure I work for them) was the idea that at a certain point you allow them to see each other without interacting.  This can often be accomplished by placed a temporary window screen (the kind that expands to fit the window) so they can get used to seeing each other.

Scent exchange is helpful too, but don't force your resident cat to interact with a towel or sock that has the new cat's scent (and vise versa) just offer it to them.

Again good luck!

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The lady told us to take the kitten home and leave her in the crate for the other cats to investigate - which we did. She said if there isnt any hissing etc then all should be well and to just leave the kitten roam around freely. There were no hissing or any fuss so after about 10-15 of the kitten in the crate, we let her out. The kitten was mostly upstairs and semi paired off with our younger male so there wasnt a problem. At nighttime the kitten is shut in my bedroom with me the whole night with plenty of yowling going on.

Yesterday and today seemed to be the most problematic for our elderly cat Tara, and the kitten has been with us since Friday afternoon.

I did know all about the separation process and slow intro as well as scent swapping and was foolish to trust this lady's advise. Like I said before, Tara isnt a cat person but learned really quickly to cope with our other cats as they were already here, I was hoping the same would happen here :(

I will keep you updated and thanks ever so much for the help!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok interesting and one more thing.  I would not isolate the new kitten in your bedroom.  Imagine you had a new baby and you locked your 3 year old child out of your bedroom that she was accustomed to going in while keeping the new baby with you.  Your senior cat should be the Queen of the home and its the new kitten who should have the lower place on the toem pole so to speak.  Bathrooms or an extra room if you have one make idea places for the new kitten.

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tara doesnt venture upstairs at all. She has arthritis and doesnt do stairs so the downstairs is her domain, not the upstairs. Tara sleeps on her chair in the living room and Peanut sleeps on his tree in the other bedroom - thats his domain also. No one is shut out of anywhere as this is a room no one goes in at night and its the only free room and I have read that a new kitten will be scared and lonely and should sleep with someone, is this not the right thing to do?

ladyvesuvius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Phew, thanks, Im glad to hear that :)