helping cat to settle into his new home

tinykim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :) this weekend we moved into our new home.
I know its not expected for 1 year old zachary to settle straight away but i wondered if any of you had any tips to help him out? (Hes an indoor cat by the way)

Hes usually a vocal cat but hardly heard a noise since we moved.
Hes not really interested in his toys
He is eating and drinking but not as much as usual
And he curles up in a little ball all quiet and withdrawn most of the time.
Oh and he usually loves the attention from visitors but he hides when they come.

Advice pleeease i feel so sad for him

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting him in his own room for a few days until all of the unpacking and organizing are complete.  Make sure he has some familiar scented objects.  Possibly a cat tree to look outside, a favorite blanket or bed and of course his toys.  He is out of sorts and the new place smells very funny to him.  You might want to get a few Feliway diffusers.  Also Composure feline treats or Composure liquid helps to calm a cat without drugs or sedation.  Allow him to be just in his own space for a few days and then allow him time out to explore.  Make sure he has access and knows where the litter box is located as well as fresh food and water.  Try to spend time with him reassuring that all is well.  He probably picks up on your stress from the move.  You can try playing calming music too.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not much you can do other than give him extra pets and attention. Sit with him often, read to him. Act confident around the house... if you're hesitant or nervous, he picks up on that and may interpret it as a scary place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinykim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies :) he has his cat tree, blankets toys etc. And hes perking up a little bit this evening, batting his toys around, guess its all too new and scary for him. Lots of cuddles on the way