helping cat cope with loss

kelliez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So our family lost our sweet Charlie a few days ago after having him with us for ten years. Our older girl, Ashley, has been his friend for a decade of her 13 year life. We are all still trying to heal (and will be for awhile), but our girl seems to have changed her demeanor slightly. She is much more skittish than usual and had been wandering at certain times (not constant) looking for our friend in what were his favorite places. Has anyone dealt with this? Is there anything I should be doing for her? We are not ready to consider another companion at this point, and I fear that with her age it may be just too much for her to handle anyway. However I hate the thought of her living out the remainder of her life as a single cat, without a friend. Just looking for insight. ..

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Try to maintain any routine you have - cats like routine and if she has to deal with that on top of missing Charlie, it adds to her difficulty adjusting.  Since you are also grieving Charlie's loss, this might be difficult to do but it will help Ashley.

I've read that it helps to leave some of Charlie's toys or blankets around so that Ashley gets used to his gradually fading scent.

Offer Ashley little treats and new toys but don't dramatically change the amount of attention you give her, as it might be confusing to her.  You do want to give her attention and reassurance of course.

Cats are also sensitive to human emotions so she is going to pick up on your own sorrow.  Just something to be aware of.
[article="32396"]Do Cats Mourn  [/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelliez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. She's always been very sweet and docile, and VERY up for cuddling. It just bothers me (obviously right now when I need kitty cuddles) that she seems a bit more stand - offish, although I'm not forcing her. I do think Charlie's sudden sickness bothered her - she began hissing at him and running away (which was actually very sad to see toward her buddy).I will try to leave toys/blankets for her to remind her of him and good times:-) it's what we all need right now.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it really is so hard on everyone left behind.  I read somewhere that the grieving period in cats can be from two weeks to six months which is a lot of time.  Still, since you are giving Ashley her space, hopefully she will be back to cuddling pretty soon.  Right now she is just shaken up - her world has undergone a dramatic change.  I'm so sorry you are all going through this.