Helping an abused cat adjust?

arellamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So a few days ago, my husband and I adopted this little abandoned nine month old female cat, and I've named her Delilah. She's very friendly, very sweet, full of energy, and has an amazing little personality. She took to both of us immediately, and was snuggling up with us an hour after she got home. She was found by herself in a field, very thin and with ear mites, with just some cat food scattered around for her to eat.

As time has gone on, I've realized she has some problems, particularly of the emotional variety, and seemed to be triggered by common household items. It's led me to believe the people that originally had her abused her, as she becomes completely terrified (crouching down, ears back, shaking violently) if I grab a broom, a frying pan, the spatula, or any fireplace tools.

I have noticed that she's absolutely fine with water, to the point that she's jumped into a bathtub with me when I was bathing, then just sat there in the water like it wasn't a big deal. She even loves being bathed. However towels - that seems to be her biggest trigger. I've raised cats all my life, and I've NEVER seen a cat react to anything the way she reacted to that towel, the normally very quiet kitten became loud and panicked for her life in a split second.

I want Delilah to have the best life that she possibly can. It's impossible to avoid using these every-day objects, and I'm not really sure how I'd even begin to make her feel safe here if they're around all the time. Are there any suggested ways to help a cat adjust, or is it just a waiting it out kind of thing?

Thank you so much!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably just going to take a little while for her to adjust. The fears she has are very real to her, so just try to reassure her with pets and love if she gets frightened.

It wouldn't hurt to put her in the bedroom while you use those items.

Beautiful kitten btw.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably just going to take a little while for her to adjust. The fears she has are very real to her, so just try to reassure her with pets and love if she gets frightened.

It wouldn't hurt to put her in the bedroom while you use those items.

Beautiful kitten btw.
This.  You have to carry on essentially as normal.  Talk to her in a really calm and reassuring voice when you are using those items and offer her pets if she will take them right after or even during use. It may take her many months to adjust but eventually, her new expectation will be that those items will not hurt her, not that they will.  Patience and love are the keys.  Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arellamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both.

I took your advice and began the process of adjusting her this morning (instead of trying to avoid everything for fear of freaking her out). She had a negative reaction to the broom again, and I talked to her all through it, but once I was done I scooped her up and took her into the other room and snuggled with her until she stopped shaking. She was back to playing and exploring soon after that.

I did wake up to a delivery of a large dead beetle on my bed this morning, which at least tells me she's developed some kind of bond with me, and maybe already has a certain level of trust. I'll work hard to keep that up and strengthen it.

I appreciate the advice!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Dead beetles!  That's a good sign.  LOL  I don't have experience with this in particular, but I wondered--would it work to lay the broom or spatula on the floor and let her explore around it in her own time, maybe even put some catnip on a towel and just leave it on the floor for her to sniff around.  Or would she run from them?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arellamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dead beetles!  That's a good sign.  LOL  I don't have experience with this in particular, but I wondered--would it work to lay the broom or spatula on the floor and let her explore around it in her own time, maybe even put some catnip on a towel and just leave it on the floor for her to sniff around.  Or would she run from them?  
I don't think so. If she sees me handle any of these items at all she promptly flattens herself on the floor and begins that violent shake again. She doesn't even run, she just freezes in terror until they're removed from her sight completely.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, she brought you a gift! How sweet!

I adopted two senior cats from a shelter three years ago to accompany the one I already had. For probably the first year and a half, they were very afraid of plastic bags or any kind of loud crinkling, like when I would go to change the bag in the trash can or roll up the plastic casing that paper towels come in. Now they don't mind. They still don't like my large, loud vacuum, but they are starting to tolerate the Swiffer Vac.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think so. If she sees me handle any of these items at all she promptly flattens herself on the floor and begins that violent shake again. She doesn't even run, she just freezes in terror until they're removed from her sight completely.
Oh, poor little thing.  :-(

nunusmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't dealt personally with an abused animal, but if it was I in your situation, especially with towels, I'd work with her slowly. Maybe start with a wash cloth, same material but smaller, work to hand towel and then hopefully as big as a toddler beach towel. It will probably take forever, but if they stay on the smaller side, perhaps she won't feel trapped. I wish you the best of luck with her though. She is absolutely gorgeous. I think in time you will both take care of each other.