Helpful Tips (wisdom from moms, friends, etc.)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Best cure for colds and sore throat:

Mix 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Take one tablespoon every two hours.
It shocks your system the first dose you take but it isn't so bad once you get used to it.

AND IT WORKS

doc-n-samsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a measuring cup of water in the microwave works to steam up the dried up gunk, for less scouring

Powder laundry soap in your trash cans helps keep flies at bay

a clothespin bag (the kind with the hanger) hung over the dryer is perfect for mismatched socks

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

1) Baked on black crud in the bottom of your cooking pot? Put some baking soda and water, bring it to a boil, let it cool down, and then clean it. The baking soda helps to loosen the crud.
YAY at last!! THANK YOU!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

Best cure for colds and sore throat:

Mix 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Take one tablespoon every two hours.
It shocks your system the first dose you take but it isn't so bad once you get used to it.

AND IT WORKS
I think I'll stick to a Hot Toddy when I get a cold/sore throat. Cup of tea with honey and a splash of whiskey (NOT too much whiskey, unless you just want to forget that you HAVE a cold!). OK, I'll take a Hot Toddy even when I don't have a sore throat!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goo Gone is really great for taking off anything sticky, my husband is a hot tar roofer and we use it to get tar out of his work clothes.

I also use a product called Awesome. I've only found it at Family Dollar, but it will clean EVERYTHING! And its safe for all surfaces. It only cost a dollar a bottle and its the best cleaner I've ever seen. It sucks the dirt right out of carpets that don't even look dirty! LOL The only thing it dosen't do is disenfect.

Hydrogen Peroxide will take blood out of your clothing as long as its not a really old stain. For older stains, Goo Gone works quite well, just use it sparingly. If you use too much and it dosen't all rinse out, it can leave a stain itself.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
darkeyedgirl said:
This is a "gross tip" but still... it works, so here goes.

(Cat related, too!)

For barfed up hairballs, let them dry out for a day or two, then run a vacuum up over them OR pick them up w/ a paper towel. To get the watery-now-dry puke-spot out of the carpet, wet it with carpet cleaner (I use a cheapo brand from Lowes) and scrub w/ a washcloth.

The hairball is way easier to clean up once it's hard!

Yes, I do that too! MUCH easier to clean up! Although, it's kind of embarrassing when I forget and someone comes to visit and sees it just lying there! They're probably a bit disgusted!