Helpful hints to get me through labour.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have long hair, braid it on the way to the hospital. It took days to pull all the knots out of mine after my daughter was born.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

If you have long hair, braid it on the way to the hospital. It took days to pull all the knots out of mine after my daughter was born.
I had forgotten about that. Wash off any makeup, too. When Richard was born, my mascara and eyeliner had run. One of the nurses was more concerned with wiping my "black tears" than with getting that baby born.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya sweetie... I know exactly how you feel. I was utterly petrified of my delivery - that's only natural, but you know what? Once you're actually there, you'll be surprised by how calmly you deal with it. I won't say it doens't hurt, because it does, but the difference between labour pains and anything else, is that they are constructive pains. They're pains that are doing something in your body, not there because there is something wrong, if you know what I'm trying to say. The very best you can do, is do it YOUR way. That's very important, because it's you listening to your body and it's a way of keeping control in a situation where you might feel that you don't have much control. The breathing exercises are there for a reason - to keep you calm - do them. I can't stress that enough. If there are people who want to be at the delivery that YOU don't want there... tell them. Anything that will stress you out more isn't helpful. Obviously you'll have a birth plan already drawn up, but if it doens't feel right for you at the time, you say so and it's easy to change it. I really wanted a water birth, because I was frightened of the pain but also of the drugs as well. Unfortunately, there wasn't the facility available at my hospital to have that.... although I could take a bath to ease the labour pains. I gave birth to my son sitting up in bed after trying prett ymuch everything else.... I'd tried being on my hands and knees, sitting in a special chair, I'd walked around.... but in the end... good old tradition won out and, I hasten to add, I did it without pain relief! It is possible. And it you can believe in that, you'll do just great. It's a very natural thing. Women have been doing it for years and years, and they know what's best for them, Instinct sorta kicks in after a while, even if you do feel scared. It's really easy to stress out and panic, especially if you have a partner with you who's about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot, but keep your head. Make use of everything available, walk around, breathe deeply and it'll go fine
If you want to message me and talk about anything, you're more than welcome to. You've got another three weeks (ish) to put your feet up and calm down. Oh... don't read any books about the intimacies of problems, because they can be really stressful. And any relatives telling you it's excruciating... ignore them too. I listened to my grandma, and I was almost horrified when I went through it with next to no pain.

Trust your instincts.
There is absolutely no substitute f it. If you want to eat, eat. If you want to drink, drink. Don't let these nurses (most of which haven't had kids of their own) tell you what is and isn't right for you. I wish I had saved the link, but there is a study that shows that the women who need pain relief, are the women who panic and don't listen to their bodies. Women who stress over the pain, are more likely to feel the pain. It's all about positive mental attitude! You're a strong woman, and you'll get through it without any trouble. Oh... and never underestimate the power of swearing at the man who put you there in the first place!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I am feeling much better after all of your advice and my last Childbirth Prep class yesterday. We actually took a tour of the labour and delivery department and that was very re-assuring. I will labour and deliver in the same room. Each room has a shower which will help with the labour. They really encourage walking around or doing whatever you need to to get through the labour! It is more home like then hospital like - it even has a DVD player. I was joking with my hubby that we should bring the Lord of the Rings trilogy in to help pass the time. I can't wait to see our little boy! At least they told me it was a little boy.

My hubby has really been into the childbirth classes with me. He keeps asking if I have been practicing my breathing and pelvic floor exercises - which I have!

I can't wait to post some pics once the baby is here. All we need now is to decide on a name!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't discount bringing a movie to pop in the DVD player, especially one that you haven't seen, but want to. It would probably be a good way to focus your attention.

Now, if you could only get in a laptop and keep us all informed of your progress step by step. The world's first cyber-delivery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

I wouldn't discount bringing a movie to pop in the DVD player, especially one that you haven't seen, but want to. It would probably be a good way to focus your attention.

Now, if you could only get in a laptop and keep us all informed of your progress step by step. The world's first cyber-delivery!
We probably will bring a movie - but I told him it will not be Rosemary's Baby!

I already have people at work wanting a call update every half hour while in labour. Internet would probably help distract me! Maybe they will let me go on-line at the nurses station!