Help!

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok my kittens will be 6 weeks old this Saturday. Do you think it is time to seperate them from there mama I mean they seem to be eating ok. Except for the runt of the litter

doc-n-samsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

Ok my kittens will be 6 weeks old this Saturday. Do you think it is time to seperate them from there mama I mean they seem to be eating ok. Except for the runt of the litter
8 weeks is the earliest.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12 weeks preferably. That way Mama has time to teach them kitty manners.

megmar6853

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The legal age is 8 weeks, but I prefer 10 weeks. Try to wean them before then.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they are way too young. They need to be with Mom until at least 8 weeks, preferably 12, and they will benefit from her milk during this time.

This is, however, a good time to call the vet and schedule everyone's spay/neuter appointments. When the kittens are 10 weeks old is a good time to have them and Mom snipped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

No, they are way too young. They need to be with Mom until at least 8 weeks, preferably 12, and they will benefit from her milk during this time.

This is, however, a good time to call the vet and schedule everyone's spay/neuter appointments. When the kittens are 10 weeks old is a good time to have them and Mom snipped.
10 wks. Isnt that a lil young to be snipped?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Actually our rescue spays/neuters at 10-12 weeks of age. It is called Pediatric Spaying/Neutering. Not every vet performs spays/neuters at that age..but it guarentees that these kittens will not have any chance of ever becoming pregnant or causing a pregnancy.

Here is a report about pediatric spaying/neutering:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Katie

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope, it's the perfect age as long as they are healthy and weigh at least 2 lbs. I was a skeptic too but then I saw the results - they recover so fast that they're running around and playing within two or three hours of waking up. It's really unbelievable.

Besides, since a fair number of female cats have their first heat at 4-5 months, this is the best and really the only way to prevent extra unwanted litters.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep babies with Momma until they are at least 12 weeks old and/or have had all three series of their kitten vaccinations.

Early spay/neuter is IMO a wonderful thing. I wish it were available to me.

~gf~

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrAzYbAsH

there 2 young yet...when they can feed themself,clean and use the litter by themself they will be ready
Actually there already eating, cleaning themselves, and using the litterbox all by themselves

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That does not mean they are ready - they MUST be 12 weeks. Some reputable catteries - as that article notes - keep them even longer to ensure immunity after their vaccinations. Have you taken them for theit first vet visit yet?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only momma cat can really teach them how to be cats in every way, and that is much more than just performing the basic functions of life. There are many people on this forum with behavioural problems in their cats, probably because they lost their moms too early. Unless there is a real health reason for it, keep them with their mother as long as possible up to 12 weeks.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for 12 weeks here.

We are keeping our litter and the momma cat really teaches them a lot between 8 and 12 weeks.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CyberKitten

That does not mean they are ready - they MUST be 12 weeks. Some reputable catteries - as that article notes - keep them even longer to ensure immunity after their vaccinations. Have you taken them for theit first vet visit yet?
Nope not taking them til after the 26th or unless they get adopted first
They were just dewormed today.