Help

Kanne2

Anne
Kitten
Purraise
For back story, I recently went through a very difficult breakup 2 weeks ago, I came home to an empty house, my ex having moved all his stuff out while I was at the gym, and having to find out from him that the man I was planning on marrying never actually love me for the duration of our relationship and used me to make himself feels better. It’s been incredibly hard to work through but it’s been extremely difficult to come home to an empty house.
I’ve spent most of my time trying to avoid being home.
I’ve been wanting a cat for a while, but I’ve been afraid whoever I date will have a dog or will be allergic to cats and the responsibility made me nervous. I finally decided to get a cat about 24 hours ago, and I wanted to do this for myself since I really didn’t think it was healthy for me to be constantly ordering my life around the possibility of meeting my person one day. I thought I was mentally and financially ready. But ever since I brought her home, I’ve had crippling anxiety, the same I had when I walked into my house and realized my ex had left me. I don’t understand why, I’m panicking and sobbing uncontrollably at some points. This cat is actually perfect, she’s loving and I she doesn’t break or destroy things, she uses her litter box and all she wants is my attention. I feel awful for feeling this anxious and unsure. I hate the idea of bringing her back to the shelter but I also am just so anxious in my own home. I’ve read some other peoples experience, and want to know, if I’m feeling this intensely about it, should I bring her back to the shelter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kanne2

Anne
Kitten
Purraise
For back story, I recently went through a very difficult breakup 2 weeks ago, I came home to an empty house, my ex having moved all his stuff out while I was at the gym, and having to find out from him that the man I was planning on marrying never actually love me for the duration of our relationship and used me to make himself feels better. It’s been incredibly hard to work through but it’s been extremely difficult to come home to an empty house.
I’ve spent most of my time trying to avoid being home.
I’ve been wanting a cat for a while, but I’ve been afraid whoever I date will have a dog or will be allergic to cats and the responsibility made me nervous. I finally decided to get a cat about 24 hours ago, and I wanted to do this for myself since I really didn’t think it was healthy for me to be constantly ordering my life around the possibility of meeting my person one day. I thought I was mentally and financially ready. But ever since I brought her home, I’ve had crippling anxiety, the same I had when I walked into my house and realized my ex had left me. I don’t understand why, I’m panicking and sobbing uncontrollably at some points. This cat is actually perfect, she’s loving and I she doesn’t break or destroy things, she uses her litter box and all she wants is my attention. I feel awful for feeling this anxious and unsure. I hate the idea of bringing her back to the shelter but I also am just so anxious in my own home. I’ve read some other peoples experience, and want to know, if I’m feeling this intensely about it, should I bring her back to the shelter?
And also, is it reasonable to keep the cat out of my bedroom if I can’t sleep when she’s there? I feel bad but I need to sleep…

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sorry you experienced a recent break up. 🤗 It sounds like you need to take things slow since you feel overwhelmed and anxious right now. A cat can be a wonderful companion and give you unconditional love. :lovecat2: We can't tell you whether or not to return her to the shelter but I would suggest not to make an immediate decision you might regret later. Perhaps set a date and reassess your feelings. Regarding not being able to sleep when the cat's in your bedroom, what is it specifically that prevents you from sleeping? Does she wake you up playing or does she want to cuddle? There's a big difference. Once again, I'm sorry you're going through a rough time and sincerely hope things will work out given time but if not then call the shelter and explain your situation.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think right now you're still processing the breakup. If you allow the new cat, she can be a tremendous source of comfort and happiness. Don't feel you have to bond with her right away, take it slow, just love her the best you can and she will give it back to you 100 fold. Pretty soon you'll find she has wrapped her paws around your heart.

It's no problem to close your bedroom door at night. That may not last. We started doing that when we first got cats, but we soon realized we were happier letting them in. But it's a personal choice

As for your Ex boyfriend, you deserve so much better, be glad he is gone. And try not feel like you have to rush into another relationship, give yourself time to meet someone compatiable who appreciates you for who you are (and who loves cats).

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS. I'm sorry to meet you under the circumstances. It could be that you are afraid of falling with love with and Iosing anyone or anything. You are going through a bad time.

To answer your questions, it's fine to keep your cat out of the bedroom at night. I love my cats and interact with them constantly throughout the day, but most of the time I don't let them in the bedroom. I make exceptions now and then, but not often.

As far as taking her back to the shelter, I agree with the above advice to wait a bit.

I also would recommend seeing a doctor or counselor to help you through your break-up. Someone compassionate who will listen to what you have to say and make recommendations. Someone you are comfortable with. Please know that this is an absolutely non-judgmental statement. I think you were wronged by someone who didn't deserve you. I believe you need someone to help you through your anxiety.