Help!!!

BTanaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I have a cat named scooter he is 8 years old and diabetic I am freaking out right now cause I accidentally left some of his treats out and he managed to eat the whole bag. Will he be okay?? He takes 2 cc of Glargine insulin every 12 hours the treats were freeze dried tuna chunks it was half empty already I don’t want to wake my roommates with this can someone tell me of my fur baby will be okay??

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, someone will come along with an answer but I just wanted to say that Chewy.com has a feature where you can chat with a vet, but you have to have an autoship with them. Alternatively, maybe there are emergency vet clinics that you can call in the meantime.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look on the back of the treats and see how many carbs it contains. Since there are no fillers, and it is all meat, it should be mostly protein. He should be OK, thank goodness he ate meat. I would still call and inform the vet, or get online with one, and see if they want you to up his insulin a bit, but I doubt it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi everyone I have a cat named scooter he is 8 years old and diabetic I am freaking out right now cause I accidentally left some of his treats out and he managed to eat the whole bag. Will he be okay?? He takes 2 cc of Glargine insulin every 12 hours the treats were freeze dried tuna chunks it was half empty already I don’t want to wake my roommates with this can someone tell me of my fur baby will be okay??
He'll be fine. Things happen. This is not a dire emergency. At least the treats were low carb freeze dried ones. Don't change the insulin dose or schedule. Just carry on as normal and the blood glucose levels will go back down to the cat's typical levels. You may want to give your vet a call when they are open and talk to vet what you should do, if anything, if something like this happens again.

Do you mean 2 units of glarine / Lantus every 12 hours? 2 cc is two full 1 ml syringes and is a massive overdose for a cat.

If you're not already a member of the FelineDiabetes.com message board, I recommend you also join there.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTanaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He'll be fine. Things happen. This is not a dire emergency. At least the treats were low carb freeze dried ones. Don't change the insulin dose or schedule. Just carry on as normal and the blood glucose levels will go back down to the cat's typical levels. You may want to give your vet a call when they are open and talk to vet what you should do, if anything, if something like this happens again.

Do you mean 2 units of glarine / Lantus every 12 hours? 2 cc is two full 1 ml syringes and is a massive overdose for a cat.

If you're not already a member of the FelineDiabetes.com message board, I recommend you also join there
Thanks everyone for the help. I meant two units but wrote 2 ccs by accident. He appears to be okay and is acting as he normally would. I will definitely let my vet know once they open today

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Technically you *can* measure insulin as cc (or ml). 2 units of insulin is the same as 0.02 cc (note the zeros and where the decimal point is!).

Since it was just low carb treats I doubt the vet would tell you to do anything differently next time. Just be more mindful of putting the treats away :catrub: I definitely recommend that you join the FelineDiabetes.com board. There's a wealth of information there and a forum just for Lantus users. Lantus is a great insulin to use but has a few quirks that vets may not be aware of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTanaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Technically you *can* measure insulin as cc (or ml). 2 units of insulin is the same as 0.02 cc (note the zeros and where the decimal point is!).

Since it was just low carb treats I doubt the vet would tell you to do anything differently next time. Just be more mindful of putting the treats away :catrub: I definitely recommend that you join the FelineDiabetes.com board. There's a wealth of information there and a forum just for Lantus users. Lantus is a great insulin to use but has a few quirks that vets may not be aware of.
Thank you so much! I am typically more aware of putting away his treats but it had just slipped my mind. I will definitely be more aware in the future. My vet said everything should be okay I just have to monitor him a little more closely than usual :)