Help

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male Grayson had to get all his teeth pulled due to stomatitis he spent 8 hours at the vet. I brought him home and kept him in a separate room with me. He’s on pain meds. My girl molly now keeps hissing at him and wants nothing to do with him. They were best buds they’ve been together since he was two and she was a baby now she wants nothing to do with him. They expressed his anal glands while there but I’ve cleaned him up still nothing. What can I do he wants to be close to her.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He smells different and cats are very scent based. A friend that looks the same but smells different is different . . . in a cat's mind. Do you have a favorite blanket of his you can rub him with to "rescent" him? Apparently, if you don't have a favorite blanket of his, you can scent him with the other cat's scent.

A number of folks here say you can use a dab of vanilla extract to cover up the vet scent. I'd much prefer to rescent the cat with his own scent, but folks say the vanilla works.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, most cats do this when one goes to the vet, This will lessen in time, but getting them both to smell the same helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The funny thing is he was gone for three days and everything was fine when he came back from the vet that time, and there have been other just visits and she’s always fine. I think it’s from the anal glands being done that did it. Just strange to me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets put animals in a recovery room after a procedure. So your cat could have been near a recovering dog for hours. Alternatively, maybe there is more or less disinfectant smell from visit to visit depending on what they do. Probably a cat's breath is a big source of smell, so a mouth procedure might lead to more changes. Regardless, I think there is something of a random element to what your cat ends up smelling like when it gets home.