Help?

Imstressed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The neighbors threw their very pregnant cat out, and she decided our place was the maternity ward. 5 days ago, she birthed 6 kittens, and ever since then she's had odd smelling watery diarrhea... Two days ago, her appetite was gone, and she vomited up whatever she did eat.

After a trip to the vet, we were told she's making milk (I've been supplementing around the clock), she somehow was not dehydrated, and we should worm her with Profender. Oh, she was also given a shot of anti-nausea meds, those worked great for about 15 hrs.

I thought the profender was for later, after weaning the kittens. When I called the vet today to tell her that the kitty vomited again sometime in the early morning hours, she gave me oral anti nausea meds, and said put the profender on now.

I did it, but then washed it off in an hour because she wanted to be with the babies. Was I wrong? It's a vet who us brand new to us, though she was highly recommended. I hate my distrust of both human and animal Dr's, but it's there. Any info from people who have had a lactating female that needs to be wormed, tell me your experiences. Please! Thanks in advance for your time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My swedish pharmacology veterinary book tells Profender is OK to use on pregnant and lactacing mommas. So the warning you heard was more for use on kittens.
You can give a smaller droplet than the normal dose if you worry for the kittens she is nursing. Also, some of the profender had already gone into her during the hour, although you did washed off the rest.

let the profender dry off during one hour, before you let her be with kittens, not to risk anybody licks on the wet profender spot... Not she either, so be with her this hour.

Does she still has this diarrhea? If so, be sure you give her pedialyte, bought or homemade. Or at at least, put in some minerale kitchen salt into her food...

Her owners werent no good owners, so the food she got was probably not the best. Be sure she gets calcium rich food...
Goats milk is very good. Some plain full fat youghurt is good - and works also as a mild probiotic.

What are you supplementing the kittens with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imstressed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ, just to ease my panic even more, there's no difference between the US Profender and a Swedish version, correct?

I've been giving her 50/50 water and pedialyte since the diarrhea began the day after delivery. I've also put some into her canned kitten food. I tried offering her some vanilla Greek yogurt, she turned it down... Though while pregnant she LOVED my daughter's frozen strawberry yogurt pops.

The kittens have been getting KMR. They nursed well last night and put on a lot of weight. Between 10-15g. I haven't supplemented today, as I saw milk on her nipple, so I felt her supply was up.

For the record, I never wanted to be part of "the miracle of life". All my pets are fixed as soon as they meet size/age requirements. I'vebbeen a nervous wreck since she adopted us, so to speak. I watched how she was treated, it was terrible. I just want to make it up to her, and get healthy kits into safe homes. I feel so inadequate, and unprepared to get everyone through the next 8 weeks.

I can not express my gratitude for any advice members want to throw my way.

Imstressed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It might be helpful if I add, she ate all 6 placentas, sacs, and cords. I've read that csn cause gastric issues, but would that still be going on 5 days out? My lack of knowledge.... I now know I should have taken most of them from her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the diarrhea may have been caused by too many placentas.... It stirs up the stomach, not just for once, but for several days. Its not widely known. I try to recommend at most 4 placentas.

The profender is surely the same.

Plain, full fat youghurt is best. Ie unsweetened and unflavored. But in a pinch a flavored may be used. OR if its the only one she wants to eat.

Still, if you can get unflavored and unsweetened sort, and she eats it, its better.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try some Kitten Milk Replacement. Use the powdered form and then mix it with Pedialyte? I've not read of anyone doing this, but you might give its a try. The KMR will give mom cat the fat, protean, and calcium she needs for milk production.

Please keep us updated! Thanks for the rescue(s).

Imstressed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't get her to try ANYTHING now. Not even the treats that she would beg for. Could I be any worse at caring for her? Ugh!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing really well in caring for her. You and she are both dealing with a lot of wonderful stressful things right now. Her insides will settle down. Listen to StefanZ StefanZ he knows what he's talking about. If you weren't doing well, he'd have told you and suggested going back to the vet. Since you are doing well, know that if you describe something that requires vet help, he will tell you.

Right now her insides are reacting to too much with all the placentas. her insides will settle down. When you've had too much food, you don't want to eat for awhile.

For your sanity, because I can tell this much about you. Put a sheet of paper on your wall. Note the last time she ate, date and time and what she ate. Keep the times of what she eats and the dates and times on that sheet of paper.

Second sheet for vomiting and diarrhea.

Third sheet for when you supplement the kittens what, how much, date and times

Fourth sheet for when you start weighing the kittens. you'll want to
think of names for this part. You can use a kitchen scale, or one for mail for this.

Feel better? It always helps to keep tract of things and have your
information at your fingertips.

You are dong really well. I'm not an expert, but I've had a surprise set of kittens and two singletons later. It's overwhelming, but you've
got cat mom to help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is not eating and has foul-smelling, watery diarrhea, she needs to see a vet ASAP for parasites and/or bacterial infection in her intestines. She will need meds for both.

I Imstressed

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't get her to try ANYTHING now. Not even the treats that she would beg for. Could I be any worse at caring for her? Ugh!
I Imstressed any news?
You couldn't be any better caring for her, the other idiots tossed her into the street and you're vetting her, caring for her and the kittens and doing all that can be done to help her.
I know this isn't easy on you, but you're doing some really good work for some little lives that need you and you're doing just fine, better than fine actually :wave3: