Help!

Florilandia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow feline friends.
I have a 3 yr old cat & I just adopted a 5 week old baby. They are both female. I've had the 3 yr old since she was about 5 weeks as well. She has been an only cat til now. I keep the baby in the bathroom in the tub away from the 3yr old. Over the last few days I've kept the door open and Gg that's the 3yr old goes in and peeks in on Bb. She hisses a bit then she runs out or lays by the bathroom door just watching. She has not displayed any aggression other than hissing. Until today. I put Bb in the carrier by the door when I shower and usually Gg walks by hisses and keeps moving. Unfortunately, today she stopped growled and tried to claw the kitten. I sprayed her with the water bottle. However I'm not sure if that is the correct action. Any advice on how I can make this transition smoother?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would for now keep the kitten in one room (your bedroom if you can?) and let them smell each other through the door. You might also try feeding them near the door. For a week at least you just want smell, no sight of each other. Females have a harder time accepting other females.

Was she trying to claw the kitten claws extended? If she was just batting the kitten she was teaching her respect/manners.... not trying to harm her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Congrats on the adoption of your new kitten. :bouquet:

Five weeks is very young for her to have been adopted out. These days, the recommendation is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks, so they have time to learn cat manners and etiquette. But "luckily" for your kitten, she "hopefully" will have a mama figure in your 3 year old female.

Has your 3 year old been spayed? Did she ever have kittens?

I agree with danteshuman danteshuman you want to keep them separated until you are sure your 3 year old won't try to hurt the kitten.

TCS has some cat introduction articles, which might have some tips for you. I'll post a few other articles as well.

If you can, please post a pic of your new kitten. And your older cat, too. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Here's the article links:
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I sprayed her with the water bottle. However I'm not sure if that is the correct action.
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, it is not advisable to spray a cat or kitten. Here is the best explanation for this action: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

The above members have given you some good advice. Please check back and let us know how the introductions are going. :alright:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a wee baby! I agree with susanm9006 . That was why I recommended the kitten be in your room, so the wee baby can sleep with you. Kittens love sleeping/climbing on people.

At that age you might try supplementing her diet with kitty milk or kitten formula in a saucer for a couple of weeks if your vet recommends a type of formula (cheap formula gives kittens the runs.) There is a kitten forum on this site that can help you. I would be making them kitten "gruel' which is canned kitten food mixed with formula (and baby rice cereal if need be if they get the runs.) Make up a batch once a day, heat in microwave on a saucer for 5-11 seconds (just to warm up to room temp) , stir gruel, serve gruel 5-6 times a day for 2 weeks.

Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked it up and she can eat solid food (kitten) and may prefer it over the gruel but she may want formula but in my experience kittens love wet food and once they get it they prefer it over formula. She is in that gray area. Kittens should stay with their moms until 8 weeks old ... preferably 12 weeks old. Don't forget to leave out dry kitten food at all times. Kittens are always hungry/growing & have small stomachs. I just put my adult cat on a diet after the kitten turns 6-12 months old & switch to adult dry food.

Found Kittens, Now what….? - Humane Society of Broward County

I got one cat at 6 weeks and I offered him formula and he refused to eat it from a saucer. I still insisted on feeding him gruel for a week just because I was helicopter parenting and he was such a wee thing. He wanted the strait kitten food so after a week I relented.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Florilandia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for you advice.
I have been trying most of your suggestions. Bb was found in an abandoned car. Her mama could not be found & since it was such a hot day we felt we could not leave her there. So she was brought home. She is being bottle fed. She eating about 2+ tbsp every 5 hours. She already uses the litter. I have kitten kibble and water out for her, but she has not eaten by yet. She did not like the kitten can food or the gruel. Since she in the bathroom in the bath tub part of the day 1 keep the door open and Gg has slowly been making her way to the door. A few times she has looked over the rim of the tub & hissed at the baby. But thankfully has not made another attempt to swat at her since the other night. Now Gg just lays at the bathroom door. What do you all think?
Thank you!!! For all ur advice!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Florilandia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So I fed Bb in bed this morning & she fell asleep. She is so lovable!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute! Both of them!

Is Gg spayed? Keep them completely separated for now.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try what has worked for me on sick kittens or cats. Buy a jar of pure chicken baby food and thin it into gruel with kitten milk. Put some on your finger and hold it to her mouth. You can also put a dab on her paw and see if she will lick it off.