Help!!!!!!

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just gave birth a few hrs ago and i was able to get her out of the box and i felt her nipples and nothing comes out what should i do!!!!!! Also she is breathing really heavy should i be concerned about that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens arent crying and are very active i should add. But no milk is coming out of her nipples!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take a little while for her milk to come in.

You need to go out and buy kitten milk replacer. Look for powdered kmr by PetAg. Give mom a dish per day. The calcium will help.

You will also need needleless syringes in case you need to supplement the kittens. You also need a small scale so you can track the progress of each kitten each day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma is probably not done yet, more kittens on the way.

but if not, yes momma breathing hard is potentially alarming. So be ready to rush her in to the vet if the situation doesnt clarified at this moment.

And yes, prepare to if you must hand feed the kittens, as skissed above. Btw, goats milk is OK too, both for momma and kittens. Raw goats milk is even excellent - it comes too from an alive momma.

My cat just gave birth a few hrs ago and i was able to get her out of the box and i felt her nipples and nothing comes out what should i do!!!!!! Also she is breathing really heavy should i be concerned about that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mom was probably still laboring, and her milk will come in when the kittens start nursing.

How are mom and kittens today? How many kittens are there?

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have kitten formula already, but as i said the kittens arent crying or anything and they are "nursing" however im still not seeing any milk coming out, the mom is very attentive to the kittens too, whenever she hears them she runs to go look after them. Part of me hopes there is more kittens but part of me doesnt, she had 4 kittens but only 3 made it.... She also isnt like panting or anything i can just see her tummy moving very fast!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing the kittens will tell you how they are doing. They should gain 6-10g per day, minimum.

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When i weighed them 1 was a lil over 100g the other was about 130 and the last one was 150g, any reason why there is such a huge weight difference?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be an issue with your scale... 150 grams is a VERY large kitten for a birthweight... are you weighing on a flat level surface? I have an issue if I try to weigh them on my carpet sometimes.

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it is flat i have it on my counter. And my scale has never been used before.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is mama's abdomen still moving, any panting? Is she eating and drinking and used the litter box? She may have been experiencing some after birth contractions, but anymore means she needs to get to a vet ASAP. As long as the kittens are content and not screaming they are getting something, most likely colostrum at this point. Just like in humans it may take a while for the milk to come in. Make sure mama gets kitten food, with it's extra calories and nutrition, and lots to drink.

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No her abdomen isnt moving anymore, and she isnt panting, and she always has wet food, dry food, and water. I am now running into this problem though that she does not want to be in a box, last night she brought her kittens beside my bed. I tried to encourage her a bunch of times to stay in the boxes i have set up but she always came back to besidr the bed.

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No both the boxes are wider then the area available, i had the one box at the end of the bed though, and haha yea she has always been my big sucky baby, she didnt leave my side until she went into labour and even then she waited until last second to run to her box.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely beautiful. Everything looks good, be sure to take the blanket off that heat register, it's not good to block them. I don't mean to be bossy, but we've had two house fires in our block in the last week, and I am really jumpy! Then we were coming home and see a huge grass fire just south of us! That too many!
Those two little torties (multi colored ) are females for sure, after seeing so much orange around here, your dark kittens are gorgeous!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got good advices from Di and Bob. A beautiful little family! Momma seems to be spotted, perhaps even somewhat rosette spots. Hints perhaps some Bengal ancestry. But as she is mediumhair, its not easy to see.

AnxiousCatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heat isnt on, and you arent bossy just concerned!! And thank you, im not very good at telling what from what, i am pretty sure though that the black one is a boy because he is soo big, when i weighed them yesterday he was 173 grams and the other 2 were 150 and 110.