Help!

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is skittish but not agressive at all. She moved her 5 kittens under our shed. This is her first litter and we've noticed sometimes she won't notice a hungry kitten before she moved them to the shed. We want to take the kittens to a more friendly enviroment as we cannot see thwm and we live by a golf course which means foxes or other dangerous creatures. Is there anything we can do to get them out or get her to bring them out? She has moved them twice before and the first time she left one and the second three behind.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring everyone inside? Please have her spayed when her kittens are 8 weeks old. It is very dangerous outside for momma & her babies. She is moving them because she feels unsafe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please have someone go under the shed and bring out mom and all 5 kittens. Make a nest in your bedroom closet. Moms like a dark, private place for their kittens. It's also not good for mom to continue moving them. They can suffer injury.

Put mom's food, water, and litter just outside the closet, and close the door to your room. They are all much safer inside!

Please let us know how this works out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I will try to move them in and will definitely get her spayed. We have a busy house of 4 and a baby so I will update on moving them in.

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We r not able to bring her inside I think that would stress her out more. However, we have an insulated garage we can out them in. Is there anything that we could do to make her more comfortable?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have her and the kittens in the garage now? She'll need a nest in a cozy spot, but you'll want to be sure there are no nooks and crannies she can move her babies into.

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are in the garage she is now locked and cars are no longer using the garage. All the kittens are safe and sound exvept one won't try to eat.

Last edited:

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 3 day old kitten that is alive but not trying to eat I need help fast

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help my 3 day old kitten isn't even trying to eat. It still has it's umbilical cord which the others don't and it has a little bit if blood by its butt and on it's nose. It also has weak breathing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you contacted your vet or tried to supplement him? I would not wait on internet advice in this situation.

Does the mother cat give him attention?

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your other post said the umbilical cord is still attached.. Sterilize a pair of scissors by wiping them with rubbing alcohol and cut the cord about 1" from the kitten.

You need to force feed this kitten to give him energy. You can feed him kitten milk replacment (KMR) or goats milk. Cats cannot digest the lactose in cow's milk.

Get a small syringe without a needle (1 ml is ideal to start). Hold the kitten on it's belly, head slightly up. Think about the position they normally nurse from mom. You need to keep him warm while feeding. Some people wrap kittens like a burrito.

Give the kitten one drop of formula at a time in the cheek. The kitten has to swallow the formula. If the kitten is too weak to swallow, you can try diluting some honey with water and rub that solution on his gums. That might give him enough energy to swallow.
You need to feed the kitten 1-2 ml each hour. Put the kitten back with mom between feedings. See if he will latch on to a nipple then.

Sometimes a kitten will start nursing after 1 or 2 feedings

There are several articles that refer to kitten care. I searched on orphaned kittens, as this is closest to your situation.

Hand Rearing Kittens: What you need to know to save a newborn's life

Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know

I hope this information helps. There are many members with more kitten experience than I have, and they will also help you

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He passed but thank you for the help. We put him on nipple and squeezed a little milk out but wouldn't take it. He had blood on his nose as well. Thank you for advise though.

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are thankfully fine. Mom is nursing but when we oet her she stands up and flops down sometimes on a kitten? Should I be worried? They don't act hurt but could that be what happened to the one that passed?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like the one who passed had other issues. Make sure mom's nest is big enough for her to stretch out without lying on her kittens.

So glad you were able to bring the family into the garage!

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten that is a little over a week and opened his eyes. Is this normal?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yep! Sounds just up to speed. I'm sure everyone here would love to see pics!

hdcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I post pic?

Last edited: