help

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

There Was a elderly man who needed a home quickly for two friendly, fixed house cats I already have to many in the house so I put them in our barn with warm straw and lots of fresh food and water the one was super friendly so I gave in and now he is a house kitty but the other a beautiful Calico  is scared and is afraid of us she has been living in our barn and wondering the neighborhood  we do live in the country.  I have been wanting to live trap her and bring her in the house I set the trap tonight hoping to catch her without getting our 4  cats or my one feral cat  it was months ago  I first put them in the barn what should I do if I am able to catch her? Regret putting once indoor cats outside

Thanks

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ready a small room---a spare bedroom/bathroom/etc. and put her in there if you get her. You don't want to just set her loose in the house because she'll just hide somewhere and you won't be able to tame her. If you don't have a spare room, a large dog crate can work too.

Sardines and fried chicken are usually the most effective trap baits.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calicoes are often very independent cats, so if she is warm, fed and safe in the barn, perhaps she's OK there.  Adding another cat inside may be more than you can handle, plus she may not care to live with more cats than her original room mate.

I would observe her closely, determine if she's in any danger and if not, let her stay where she is.  Otherwise, perhaps you can begin finding her an inside home where she'll be an only cat.

Thank you for helping them both.   Many other people would not have bothered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info so far I will do my best to keep everyone updated

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending the best of prayers and vibes that you get a clear answer as to what to do. Since the calico was an inside cat, once returned inside, she would probably adjust quickly. Bless you for all that you have done for those kitties who lost their beloved caregiver.

I agree with giving the calico her own personal space when first brought back inside. When she does go into the trap, be sure to cover it with a large blanket, to lessen the stress and overstimulation. If she meows in protest when trapped, be encouraged - it is when cats are silent, they are actually perceiving you as a threat and are, in reality, hiding from you. (It's a lot more peaceful transporting a feral to the vet than it is transporting a tame kitty, who yowls in protest and claws at the crate/carrier, trying to escape.

Please keep us updated!

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update I believe the Calico moved on she has always been one to move round the neighborhood a lot she has not been around and I heard nighbors saying they saw a calico around there barn living so now we only have our 1 barn cat that's stayed faithfully around for years

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But we found a friendly 5 month old barn  kitten TIger to keep our other barn cat company we are going to get him soon hopefully

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
trying to figure out the best way to get tiger settled into the barn Thinking a large Dog crate with toys, food, water for a bit until he gets use to his new home

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
trying to figure out the best way to get tiger settled into the barn Thinking a large Dog crate with toys, food, water for a bit until he gets use to his new home

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The crate will work - I used to link two two-door crates together, turning the two side doors into a sort of tunnel  I used metal grids they have for building shelves.  Once hooked together, you have a crate for the litter box and one for the carrier and to feed in.  Gives the cat a bit more space than one crate.

If using one crate, the bigger the better.

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI

Ok I have a large Crate I will use and put food, water toys They are bring him tomorrow morning

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Meet 5 month old Tiger

The people drove 1 hour to bring him he rode on the seat next to them the whole way LOL he is such a sweet boy so lovable

we put him in the large crate with toys, food, water over night he is adjusting great we are letting him roam free this afternoon we are trying currently to find him a barn buddy around the same age

for him to be with in the barn

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Wonderful news about Tiger!  I hope that the calico comes around and gets adopted by a loving family - right now, she is probably feeling very lost and alone because she is still bonded to her former life. Who knows? Maybe my prayers will be answered and the calico returns to your home and becomes part of your barn clowder - Tiger looks like he will be perfect for making her feel welcome! The way he loves being with the boy, it is easy for me to envision Tiger palling around with all the kids, just like our cat Rajah used to do with us - Tiger looks amazingly like Rajah, in fact. Thank you for all the updates - even when I don't have time to respond, I do check up on the various posts here.

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

He is doing great the big thing is he is the sweetest, most loving cat ever and he is begging to come in the people said he has always been outside but they let him in we are getting a 2 year old long Haired  Flame point Siamese and a 6 month old Long Haired Gray and White to be his barn buddy hoping that helps

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it help to have your barn cats be indoor / outdoor? That way they could choose some time outside and some in.

Are all of these boys neutered?

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 4 Indoor/Outdoor cats already and  barn cats all fixed!!

Two are extremely friendly and  5 month old Tiger keeps still somtimes wanting in and Firefox  2 years was a house kitty but he stop using the litter pan and ended up being a barn cat If I didn't already have 4  cats I would have them inside

Last edited:

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Firefox

Last edited by a moderator: