Help

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for your purraise anthonykaty! :D

But please keep a close watch on the wound do not let it get worse or it'll be harder to treat and heal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A anthonykaty

The sore looks like an abscess, which is likely from a bad tooth that may need pulling.

It is probably very painful, and has grown because it is infected and needs antibiotics. If not treated, the infection can go into her bloodstream and cause sepsis.

There is no home remedy other than a warm, damp compress to possibly alleviate swelling until you see a vet.

Please get your cat to the vet ASAP! Let us know how this turns out.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anthonykaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A anthonykaty

The sore looks like an abscess, which is likely from a bad tooth that may need pulling.

It is probably very painful, and has grown because it is infected and needs antibiotics. If not treated, the infection can go into her bloodstream and cause sepsis.

There is no home remedy other than a warm, damp compress to possibly alleviate swelling until you see a vet.

Please get your cat to the vet ASAP! Let us know how this turns out.
oh no my poor baby!!! Ill get her in on tuesday.

anthonykaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps when you speak to the vet, you can ask what you can put on it until Thursday.    Keep us posted.  

What's her name?  
Her name is miss meow meow. I love her so. I even have her tattooed on me

anthonykaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She still grooms and eats, and the inside of her mouth looks fine. It isnt pussy or red or anything. Could it still be an abscess tooth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it appears to be some sort of abscess that is infected and requires medical attention.

The problem is likely in the gum (tooth root) where you can't see it, and has abscessed through to the outside where you can see it.

Poor kitty! I'm sure it is very painful.

anthonykaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet said that its a small infection and to keep it clean with neosporin. And she will be fine until thursday, if it doesnt get any better by then to bring her in.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet said that its a small infection and to keep it clean with neosporin. And she will be fine until thursday, if it doesnt get any better by then to bring her in.
Make sure to use the regular / original Neosporin, not the one that contains pain medicine. The pain medicine one is harmful to cats.

It does look like abscess of some kind. I'm not sure if a bad tooth or other dental issue would cause such an abscess outside of the mouth. Keep your vet up to date on the abscess-like thing and definitely bring your cat in if the thing appears to become worse or bothers your cat to the point where she's constantly scratching at it. It's not a dire emergency so you don't need to take your cat to the vet ER. Are there any low cost vet clinics in your area?

I'm surprised the vet did Facetime, too. Was this your regular vet who did the Facetime chat?

anthonykaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure to use the regular / original Neosporin, not the one that contains pain medicine. The pain medicine one is harmful to cats.

It does look like abscess of some kind. I'm not sure if a bad tooth or other dental issue would cause such an abscess outside of the mouth. Keep your vet up to date on the abscess-like thing and definitely bring your cat in if the thing appears to become worse or bothers your cat to the point where she's constantly scratching at it. It's not a dire emergency so you don't need to take your cat to the vet ER. Are there any low cost vet clinics in your area?

I'm surprised the vet did Facetime, too. Was this your regular vet who did the Facetime chat?
What could cause an abscess if it wasnt dental related? And yes my regular vet.. Hes an old family friend of my parents honest thats why we facetimed. And yes i found a low income vet office but they are closed today and tomorrow. Thanks for the info on the neosporin!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats seem to need vet care after business hours and on weekends and holidays when most vets are not available

Is this your only cat? If yes, some kind of skin condition or allergic reaction to something may irritate the skin to the point where an abscess is formed. Is there anything your cat may have gotten into? Plants, household cleaners, sharp pointy things, etc? And not to scare you, but tumors can cause abscesses, too.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor and Murphy both got spots like that on their chins about 2 months ago.  They had gotten fleas again and it was too soon to retreat them.  Fleas are ridiculous this year.  I put some olive oil on the spots because my vet couldn't get them in for several days.  By the time of their appointment, the sores had healed and there were just bald patches under their chins.  The vet said we didn't need to bring them in and the hair grew back really quickly.  And I put more flea meds on them as soon as it was safe to do so.

anthonykaty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
Connor and Murphy both got spots like that on their chins about 2 months ago.  They had gotten fleas again and it was too soon to retreat them.  Fleas are ridiculous this year.  I put some olive oil on the spots because my vet couldn't get them in for several days.  By the time of their appointment, the sores had healed and there were just bald patches under their chins.  The vet said we didn't need to bring them in and the hair grew back really quickly.  And I put more flea meds on them as soon as it was safe to do so.
yeah i dont think this was a flea problem though. We are usually able to keep the fleas away since my two cats are inside cats and we spray our yard and stuff. Idk whag caused it. But im glad its healing!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't let Connor or Murphy go out, but somehow the fleas get to them anyway.  Sneaky little buggers.  But if you haven't seen any fleas, they're probably not the problem.  I can't see fleas on Connor, but he's black.  Your kitty isn't so you should be able to spot them if you look.